Need some purchasing advice

-

flyingfrog509

Reaction score
Once upon a time back in the day I've had a 67, 68, & 69 Barracuda(s). Always loved my 69 notch back the best. However apparently no one ever bough barracudas in Georgia because they are super hard to find in decent shape. I've moved on to looking for a Dart. Not a lot of luck with that either, but I've only been looking for about 6 months.

With that said I've come across a 1972 Plymouth Scamp wearing it all original very faded green paint. (read:no body filler hiding anywhere) There are a few small rust spots that need to be patched. One on the lower edge of the drivers door about 2" long and a few pin holes tall. One on the drivers back lower quarter from the lower wheel well going back about 4" and maybe 1/2" tall at its worse. Nothing some home made patches couldn't solve. Floor & Trunk pans have a little surface rust and that's it (no carpet, been stored with plugs taken out). Full bench seat interior, all there in it's very green glory needing recovering and a little foam help on the drivers side. Headliner all there. All gauges work. Under the hood it's sporting a "junkyard" 360 of unknown origin that fires right up, he said it smokes a little if you get on it but couldn't see any. Has new NOS 4 barrel carb & a year correct 340 air cleaner. (not sure why, it was a 318 car originally) Has headers, unknown brand, kind of rusty/grimy. Tranny in it is shot, but comes with another rebuilt 904 ready to put in. Exterior has all trim in great shape. Grill is in great shape. Front bumper is dull. Rear bumper has rust thru some of the chrome. Has been converted to the big bolt pattern both front and rear w/larger disk brake conversion. Rearend is a 8 3/4 sure grip w/3.90 gears (axles were replaced to get the large bolt pattern)

With all of that said...is $4900 seem reasonable? I mean it still needs a complete restoration but I could drive it as is once I swap in the new tranny if I wanted to. (oh my wife would hate that)

I know the Scamp isn't as valuable when finished as another 67-69 Barracuda but the Mopars I can afford aren't worth that much when done anyway. I'd want to simply drive it for a long time and maybe pass it on to my daughter once she is old enough to appreciate it. (when she was 15 we almost bought a Dart for her to restore but ended up with a square body Chevy truck...don't ask how) Me personally I'm liking the lack of rusted floors / trunk that most sub 5K projects have in them and I'm not stuck on any one body style.

Second question is how bad does the value of one of these get screwed up if I don't stick to mostly factory colors and interiors. My initial thought would be to refresh the 360 to go with a rebuilt tranny (maybe beef up the 904 a bit or convert to a 727) Change the interior over to black, maybe swap out the front bench for buckets (aftermarket if I can't find stock seats) then paint the whole thing black cherry. (a Chrysler color but not from the 70s) Yea I could go with my favorite color of sublime but that wasn't offered in 72 and there are too many already. :)

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Sure will be nice to have mopar in the garage again soon.

72ScampEngine.jpeg

72ScampExt.jpeg

72ScampInt.jpeg

You left out a lot of info on that car that could help us advise you. It's been converted to big bolt pattern wheels with disc brakes in the front and it SAYS an 8 3/4 with a 489 sure grip with 3.91 gears. I'd find out HOW that was converted to the big bolt pattern, as the A body 8 3/4 never came with the big bolt pattern. A few ways to do it, so it's entirely possible. Hard to tell without seeing it in person. Have you inspected it yet? Car's on Marketplace in the Dalton area. It might be worth it, but as usual, an astute buyer will want to get it at as good a deal as possible. Looks pretty good from all the pictures, though.

EDIT! My bad. All your text didn't show up for me at first. I see you did include all that info. It's worth going to look at.

Hey flyingfrog, welcome to FABO from another Georgia guy! Hope you're enjoying the forum.

If you heard it run and the body is as described, I'd say he's not out of line with his asking price. I would always take less cash and make an offer though. Just be ready to give full price if you want it.

As far as resale...unless you're restoring a really rare car, I wouldn't worry about colors. Do what makes you happy. Expect to have much more in it than you'll ever get out of it. Heck, even with doing all my own work, I'm way under water, but I'm okay with that - I love my car and don't plan on selling it. And. If I ever do sell it, I went in knowing I wouldn't recoup my expenses.

You treed me Rob! I didn't think to look for it, but I'd say you found it. That's right up the road from me in Summerville. Floor boards look good, and the quarter looks rough.

But, you don't get a lot for 5K anymore!!

I wonder if it's Mopar Frank selling it as I noticed other cars in the pictures. He's very proud of his stuff.

Hey flyingfrog, welcome to FABO from another Georgia guy! Hope you're enjoying the forum.

If you heard it run and the body is as described, I'd say he's not out of line with his asking price. I would always take less cash and make an offer though. Just be ready to give full price if you want it.

As far as resale...unless you're restoring a really rare car, I wouldn't worry about colors. Do what makes you happy. Expect to have much more in it than you'll ever get out of it. Heck, even with doing all my own work, I'm way under water, but I'm okay with that - I love my car and don't plan on selling it. And. If I ever do sell it, I went in knowing I wouldn't recoup my expenses.

What's the chances of the first reply being someone from the same neck of the woods? I'm in North West GA too.

I've never actually restored a car to make money. I just want to drive something I like and hope I can upgrade the brakes enough to not plow into the Toyota or Honda that doesn't know how to drive in front of me. :) I've always assumed if I can get out of it what I have into it in parts alone, then I've done good. Most of the reward is driving what I've worked on with my own hands. Thanks for the thoughts on it, never know might see you around if you are anywhere near Calhoun/Dalton area.

You treed me Rob! I didn't think to look for it, but I'd say you found it. That's right up the road from me in Summerville. Floor boards look good, and the quarter looks rough.

But, you don't get a lot for 5K anymore!!

I wonder if it's Mopar Frank selling it as I noticed other cars in the pictures. He's very proud of his stuff.

Now don't go buying it out from under me :) I knew I shouldn't have posted pictures. :) At least isn't such a great deal that everyone will be out scouring for the ad...I hope.

You left out a lot of info on that car that could help us advise you. It's been converted to big bolt pattern wheels with disc brakes in the front and it SAYS an 8 3/4 with a 489 sure grip with 3.91 gears. I'd find out HOW that was converted to the big bolt pattern, as the A body 8 3/4 never came with the big bolt pattern. A few ways to do it, so it's entirely possible. Hard to tell without seeing it in person. Have you inspected it yet? Car's on Marketplace in the Dalton area. It might be worth it, but as usual, an astute buyer will want to get it at as good a deal as possible. Looks pretty good from all the pictures, though.

EDIT! My bad. All your text didn't show up for me at first. I see you did include all that info. It's worth going to look at.

Yes, I got to go look at it. BUT then I had to drive down to FL to help take care of my dad in the hospital. Longest week ever in ICU and then some recovery. I just talked to my wife to make sure she wouldn't shut me down because you know money just starts flying out the window once we buy something like that. I should have bought the 69 barracuda that I saw a few years ago that was pretty much completely done and was only 12K. I'd been money ahead, but I couldn't live with a barracuda painted a chevy grey color.

Yes, I got to go look at it. BUT then I had to drive down to FL to help take care of my dad in the hospital. Longest week ever in ICU and then some recovery. I just talked to my wife to make sure she wouldn't shut me down because you know money just starts flying out the window once we buy something like that. I should have bought the 69 barracuda that I saw a few years ago that was pretty much completely done and was only 12K. I'd been money ahead, but I couldn't live with a barracuda painted a chevy grey color.
Sorry to read about your father. Prayers. Keep us posted and let us know what you find out.

Lol, nah I'm good with mine. My wife says a late 40's Chevy truck for her is next!

I live in Rome, over towards the Shannon side. We drive the Barracuda around Rome a good bit. Don't get up to Calhoun much. Maybe next Spring I'll be ready to run down Paradise dragway.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Go Get it!!!

You really need to see the bottom of the car. If there is rust through in the lower quarters behind the wheels, you can bet that the trunk turn down behind it needs to be replaced, etc. You could have a rotten frame without it showing up on the top of the floorpans. IMHO Here in Washington State that is a $3000 car from what you say and show in pics.

You really need to see the bottom of the car. If there is rust through in the lower quarters behind the wheels, you can bet that the trunk turn down behind it needs to be replaced, etc. You could have a rotten frame without it showing up on the top of the floorpans. IMHO Here in Washington State that is a $3000 car from what you say and show in pics.
Long way from GA! Lol

Prayers for Your Father, may he Heal Well! Welcome from FL. Seems like it's Definitely worth a closer inspection! They were kinda the super underdog, but they ain't on trees no mo'!

Yes prayers for your Dad.
I vote IF as solid as you say and the engine is good, that is about as good as it gets most days in most places.
Decent reasonable priced projects are scarce in lots of places.

Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Trailer queens polished with cloth diapers are just retarded.

If you would drive it, enjoy it, beat on it. Then buy it.
If you want to fix it up and sell it for a profit. Pass because cars are money pits.

Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Trailer queens polished with cloth diapers are just retarded.

If you would drive it, enjoy it, beat on it. Then buy it.
If you want to fix it up and sell it for a profit. Pass because cars are money pits.
^^^^ Probably the best post in the thread right here.

Flyingfrog509, not sure what mopar interest you, but in Elizabethtown Tn , there's a 75 scamp on Craigslist ,I think it's listed under tri cities or Knoxville, it's a 225 slant but only rust on body I saw was under hood at grill level, it being a straight shift, you would already have pedels for conversion to v8 / 4 speed, there is some pin holes in spare tire carrier but turn downs are good and quarters look good inside and out. His name is John, I offered $2800 and he said he would take that, he has it listed at $3500.Its in primer,all glass is good, windshield has wiper scratches and light fog around edges, it's a plain jane. Column shift,drum brakes, manual steering.Its been on CL for a month, I looked at it last Friday. It's about 2 to 3 hours from Chattanooga. Don't know if it interest any of you guys, but he said it's driveable , but probably need to bleed brakes if you don't haul it it back. And Welcome to the Jungle,watch out for the LIONS, TIGERS and BEARS on Abodies, it really more like chiggers,ticks and fleas, they will get under your skin but won't kill you,just piss you off on occasions.

Last edited:
Flyingfrog509, not sure what mopar interest you, but in Elizabethtown Tn , there's a 75 scamp on Craigslist ,I think it's listed under tri cities or Knoxville, it's a 225 slant but only rust on body I saw was under hood at grill level, it being a straight shift, you would already have pedels for conversion to v8 / 4 speed, there is some pin holes in spare tire carrier but turn downs are good and quarters look good inside and out. His name is John, I offered $2800 and he said he would take that, he has it listed at $3500.Its in primer,all glass is good, windshield has wiper scratches and light fog around edges, it's a plain jane. Column shift,drum brakes, manual steering.Its been on CL for a month, I looked at it last Friday. It's about 2 to 3 hours from Chattanooga. Don't know if it interest any of you guys, but he said it's driveable , but probably need to bleed brakes if you don't haul it it back. And Welcome to the Jungle,watch out for the LIONS, TIGERS and BEARS on Abodies, it really more like chiggers,ticks and fleas, they will get under your skin but won't kill you,just piss you off on occasions.

I prefer the darts / scamps before they got the extra "beak" in the hood and the 5mph bumper spacers. BUT I do like stick & I don't even hate the \6, can do quite a bit with that using the Clifford performance parts (or put in a v8...but I think K members for that might be getting hard to find by now) Dunno...just getting back in after a 15 year span with no hot rod projects. Thanks for the heads up for sure.

The value of that car; if you change colors etc, isn't going to mean a thing. It's already had parts swapped etc... cars that you don't want to screw with the "value" (if that's your thing) are the original special cars.

That car looks like a pretty good solid start.
BUT I would say this...that Barracuda will turn up one of these days, and you might have all your money wrapped up in the Scamp.

I take offense, Fish are well loved around here in North GA!

Anything unfinished in the state as posted, Without a very serious review, for more than $1k is too much IMO!

It better have well documented purchase info and all factory tags and parts in place for a Resto project at that price!

If you plan to strip and modify then the price is over the top IMO!

Well it's been almost a month, a few more hick-ups with my dad in the hospital, a few more cars were looked at and I ended up with a 1971 318/auto A/C, PS, manual drum brakes, black int, white exterior, black vinyl top car. Body shop already did the majority of the body work, new spare tire pan, new passenger lower quarter, new passenger side floor pan. Came with the regular low back bench seat with head rests & a second "bench bucket" front seat, headers, complete exhaust, & some misl new parts. The only bummer is the 7.25" rear, drum brakes, & no engine or tranny. (However I'm probably going to pick up the SCAT 408 kit & 360 magnum block, flywheel, harmonic balancer & such off the guy for 1400...just have to decide if I want to go big or go home on the engine)

Plans are:
- finish the body & paint...strong chances of sassy-grass green or limelight or orange (TBD depending on if I want to go back with a vinyl top or not)
- restore the interior
- probably change out the grill to a duster sharktooth grill (wife's request)
- upgrade to disk brakes (probably just go BBP since I plan on upgrading the rear end)
- 14" or 15" rally wheels (as much as my brother-in-law loves the hub caps that came with it...I'm not sure on that look)
- probably just put whatever v8 / 904 in it so I can drive it as soon as the paint is done
Then:
- build the 408 up OR go with a healthy 360
- figure out what OD tranny to put in it
- upgrade the rear end (8.25, 8.75, or maybe an 8.8 narrowed)
THEN, drive it everywhere I want to go.

Any and all opinions or thoughts on a 408 (really interested if a stroker like that can live on the street) and and the best OD tranny welcome! My primary intention is to drive for weekend transportation, maybe road rally / show kind of stuff (read: freeway a must) and maybe take it to the 1/8 mile track we have in town just for fun a time or two for old times sake. (read: I'm not dragging it all the time, just when the need arises) Heck feel free to chime in on color or mods. In the meantime...picture, hopefully more to come.

Capture.JPG

It will run like a "Raped Ape" does anybody say that anyomore...? :lol:

So if that's the description of a Four Oh Ape (408) in an A-body...what would describe a run of the mill 300ish HP 360? I've only had \6 Barracuda(s) and one stock 273 that I drove nicely because I couldn't afford a ticket back then and if I were being honest I don't remember exactly how fast the 273 was because it was almost 30 years ago. I just remember I really loved that 69 Cuda. I do believe I will love this Scamp too.

So if that's the description of a Four Oh Ape (408) in an A-body...what would describe a run of the mill 300ish HP 360? I've only had \6 Barracuda(s) and one stock 273 that I drove nicely because I couldn't afford a ticket back then and if I were being honest I don't remember exactly how fast the 273 was because it was almost 30 years ago. I just remember I really loved that 69 Cuda. I do believe I will love this Scamp too.

I am building a 3.58 stroke 360 with 4.10 gearing and I fully expect it to be in the 11's. Before you spend all the money on building an engine, check out the following discussions.

Hey there -
You asked for thoughts on the best OD tranny. Check out the threads on FABO regarding using a GM 200-4R trans behind a small block Mopar.
That's what I'm using. It fits an A-body trans tunnel without surgery to the tunnel and provides both a better gear spread and OD ratio than a Mopar OD trans.
I'll be using 4.30 gears in my '69 Dart and the 0.67 OD in the 200-4R will be like having 2.88 gears while in OD.

Last edited:
Scamp's need love too!:)

-
Back