Ported Slant 6 head

-
Kind of the way I feel about my truck build. Feels good to be able to build something nice.

Man, that's a really sweet looking port job. When I decide to build myself a slant here in the future I'm going to pm you for some tips.

Man, that's a really sweet looking port job. When I decide to build myself a slant here in the future I'm going to pm you for some tips.

Killian's Porting Service in Warner Robins , Georgia did it for me. I see you're in Arizona. Your best bet is to send yours to Justin (1wildandcrazyguy). He's really sharp and will get the same kinda flow numbers. I was gonna send mine to him, but from Georgia was a pile of shipping.

I sure hope so, Corey. This is the most stoked I've been about a project in many years. Thank you http://killiansportingservice.com/ !!

I see they have your head on there web site :cheers: I may send my head there way =D> Shaved for the street just 40 thousants and bigger valves and rv springs built by Frank 66aCUDA.

Attachments

• Got to to what ya gata 004.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 568
  • Got to to what ya gata 001.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 601
Oh, I'm bein nice. When somebody calls my stuff a waste and a shame, they ain't gettin anymore info about it. But I can be nice about it. lol

You misunderstood the intent of my comment.

I fell all over myself (with good reason) complimenting you on the great quality of that head, with regard to its beautiful craftsmanship involved.

It is, I feel, a work of art.

What my comment "it is a shame," and "a waste" referred to, what that it wasn't going on a race motor where its superior craftsmanship would pay off BIG TIME in performance.

Putting it on a street car, where you can't really exercise its flow capabilities (like they could be in a race car) seemed a shame to me.

What I meant as a compliment, you took as a criticism.

There was no criticism.

I only wish I had access to a head that had been treated to such exemplary porting and combustion chamber work!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And, I have (still) NO IDEA what the application (normally-aspirated, turbo- or supercharged, or nitrous-assisted) you have planned for this beauty.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's going to run well!!!

Good luck with it!:cheers:

t

I fell all over myself (with good reason) complimenting you on the great quality of that head, with regard to its beautiful craftsmanship involved.

What my comment "it is a shame," and "a waste" referred to, what that it wasn't going on a race motor where its superior craftsmanship would pay off BIG TIME in performance.

Putting it on a street car, where you can't really exercise its flow capabilities (like they could be in a race car) seemed a shame to me.

wouldn't matter if its on a race motor or not... its whether the rest of the combo is matched and whether the rpm range in in sync with the head flow numbers...

a waste is trying to make every slant car a turbo car... which is the exact reason i'll never build a turbo six... because now people are starting to build sixes, and even more turbo sixes... only reason i built my six was to not have a pick your color with a small block dart...

Killian's Porting Service in Warner Robins , Georgia did it for me. I see you're in Arizona. Your best bet is to send yours to Justin (1wildandcrazyguy). He's really sharp and will get the same kinda flow numbers. I was gonna send mine to him, but from Georgia was a pile of shipping.
Great advice Rob.
That is were my /6 head is going right now....
Hope the FedEx Guys take care of her !!!
It will be going in 63 Dart also !!!
Yours is going to kick *** over mine due to your 198 rod advantage !!!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and flow sheets.
Martin

Fair enough. Thanks for the compliment. Sorry I twisted it. I am building what "I" want plain and simple. It'll pay off big time, because of the sheer difference in flow numbers, so I'm not worried about that. The short block is as follows. 1975 Duster block. Thank you Calvin (clhyer). 198 connecting rods. Thank you Frank (66acuda), with ARP rod bolts and bushed for full floating pins. Forged standard crank, lightened. KB239 2.2 Chrysler non turbo pistons. Oregon custom grind camshaft. .489/.489 230/230 @ .050" ground on a 105 LSA. I am going to blueprint compression somewhere under 10.1. I've not decided where yet. It is intended to be a pump gas only motor, so I am thinking 9.5 or under, although as nice as the head has turned out, I may be able to run more. Any input on that is appreciated. All this will be fed by a 800 CFM custom built and tuned Thermoquad by me on top of a Clifford intake, thanks Bob (superdart426) and exhausted by an old school set of Clifford long tube headers, thanks Bob (superdart426) I have decided to MAKE them work! lol . Also thanks Ed (805MoparKid) for my bellhousing. My goal was originally 250 HP without porting. However, the more I read and talked with people, the more I realized that was unrealistic. I am hoping as good as the head has turned out, that I will eclipse the 250 HP mark. I think I have a good chance. I cannot thank those of you who have helped me enough. This is what this site is all about. That is why I try to pay it forward every chance I get. Oh, and all of this is going in a 63 Dart 2 door post with an A833 OD 4 speed and 4.30 sure grip 8 3/4. It should be fun.

What I meant as a compliment, you took as a criticism.

There was no criticism.

I only wish I had access to a head that had been treated to such exemplary porting and combustion chamber work!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And, I have (still) NO IDEA what the application (normally-aspirated, turbo- or supercharged, or nitrous-assisted) you have planned for this beauty.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's going to run well!!!

Good luck with it!:cheers:

t

Fair enough. Thanks for the compliment. Sorry I twisted it. I am building what "I" want plain and simple. It'll pay off big time, because of the sheer difference in flow numbers, so I'm not worried about that. The short block is as follows. 1975 Duster block. Thank you Calvin (clhyer). 198 connecting rods. Thank you Frank (66acuda), with ARP rod bolts and bushed for full floating pins. Forged standard crank, lightened. KB239 2.2 Chrysler non turbo pistons. Oregon custom grind camshaft. .489/.489 230/230 @ .050" ground on a 105 LSA. I am going to blueprint compression somewhere under 10.1. I've not decided where yet. It is intended to be a pump gas only motor, so I am thinking 9.5 or under, although as nice as the head has turned out, I may be able to run more. Any input on that is appreciated. All this will be fed by a 800 CFM custom built and tuned Thermoquad by me on top of a Clifford intake, thanks Bob (superdart426) and exhausted by an old school set of Clifford long tube headers, thanks Bob (superdart426) I have decided to MAKE them work! lol . Also thanks Ed (805MoparKid) for my bellhousing. My goal was originally 250 HP without porting. However, the more I read and talked with people, the more I realized that was unrealistic. I am hoping as good as the head has turned out, that I will eclipse the 250 HP mark. I think I have a good chance. I cannot thank those of you who have helped me enough. This is what this site is all about. That is why I try to pay it forward every chance I get. Oh, and all of this is going in a 63 Dart 2 door post with an A833 OD 4 speed and 4.30 sure grip 8 3/4. It should be fun.

That sounds like a very fun car that you can enjoy every day! It's pretty different from anything I have seen run, so I haven't a clue as to its capabilities. But, I certainly don't think that 250 HP is going to be difficult at all, with it.

If I had a question, it would be in carb sizing. I know that Thermoquads have an air valve-actuated secondary, and ideally, the secondaries don't open unless they're needed, so maybe you'll be okay with this carb, but 800CFM sounds like an awful lot of flow capability for 230 cubic inches.

Ma put those carbs on high-winding 340's and they seemed about right...

Ryan's car makes over 500 HP with a 600CFM carburetor, but I'm not sure how much the turbo affects sizing on carburetors maybe a lot... We are using a 750 on our car, and HOPE to get HP somewhere in the area of 500, but we haven't made 50, yet, so who knows?

Other than that one issue (and I'm sure you have good reasons for what you do), your build sounds great and I think you'll be really happy with it!

a waste is trying to make every slant car a turbo car... which is the exact reason i'll never build a turbo six... ...

Did I suggest that Rob needs to put a turbo on his car?
If I did, I don't remember doing that.
Can you show me where I did it???

Additionalty, where is the logic in : "a waste is trying to make every slant car a turbo car... which is the exact reason i'll never build a turbo six.???"

I truly don't understand your thinking on this. Why would you shoot yourself in the foot (to the tune of about three seconds-worth of E.T.) just because somebody else built their car with the same equipment on it?

It's not like you have a '69 Camaro and need some way to give it some individuality. I can count on my fingers all the turbocharged slant sixes I have ever heard about.... spread across 48 states...
There's no "horde" of these cars.... they'll always be scarce.

I fail to see the reason for depriving yourself of a bonafide performance advantage based on what OTHERS do.

Explain that, if you can...

I have no worries on the carb. Since it's vacuum operated, that means it is limited to the RPM it sees, and will only pull the secondaries open at the proper RPM. Of course, as tuneable as the Thermoquad is, I can have a serious influence on that, but tuned RIGHT, the secondaries will open when needed. Of all the things I'm worried about, the carb ain't on the list. A stock 318 will suck the guts out of an 800 Thermoquad, so I am pretty sure my hot little slant won't have any trouble either.

I fail to see the reason for depriving yourself of a bonafide performance advantage based on what OTHERS do.

Explain that, if you can...

I can answer that for ME. It may be the same for Ed, I don't know. First, I don't dislike turbo anything. It's a quick, easy and a lot of times inexpensive way to go fast. I also really like the turbo builds that you and others are doing and have done with slants.

All that said, my opinion on it is that I like the challenge of making an engine "down on two cylinders" run fast naturally aspirated. True, it may never run like a turbo slant. It can be respectable nonetheless. I just prefer naturally aspirated engines. I always have. I've built some forced inducted stuff for other people and there always seemed to be some witch doctor tuning issues to get them just right. With naturally aspirated stuff, just slap on a good matched carburetor tune it and go. To make a naturally aspirated slant fast requires a lot of work and smart parts choices as well as expert tuning, patience and time. It's something to really be proud of because of the challenge. All this is my opinion, so feel free to argue away, you're not going to change my mind. lol

Damn,kinda got shot down with bringing my factory head up to have it done up there !! Guess I'll just have to wait on Franks !!

Did frank blend the bigger valve seats in?
If it had to be dun he did for the bigger valves, all I asked for is a all new ready to bolt on very little shaved (40thousants) bigger valve head and I did not want real heavy springs because of my application :happy1: But that was about 18 months ago and the head I am running original from 1966 has not gave me any problems at all yet so it will not be coming off any time soon :happy1: I may be wrong but I think he had the head cut and is seated with furd valves, but I may be wrong on that becouse we talked in person about using a furd valve in these /6'es 1wild&crazyguy.

Damn,kinda got shot down with bringing my factory head up to have it done up there !! Guess I'll just have to wait on Franks !!

How so? I know Jerry's had health problems as of late so he may be going to take some time off. I don't know.

If it had to be dun he did for the bigger valves, all I asked for is a all new ready to bolt on very little shaved (40thousants) bigger valve head and I did not want real heavy springs because of my application :happy1: But that was about 18 months ago and the head I am running original from 1966 has not gave me any problems at all yet so it will not be coming off any time soon :happy1: I may be wrong but I think he had the head cut and is seated with furd valves, but I may be wrong on that becouse we talked in person about using a furd valve in these /6'es 1wild&crazyguy.

Slants don't require real heavy spring pressures from all I've heard and read. In fact, the Mopar engine book says 80 pounds seat pressure and 200 open. That seems light, but it's just a slant. Of course, the more lift your cam has, the more the spring pressure requirements change. That's why I stuck with low lift. I want reliability and longevity.

The wife is the one to shoot it down !!! I've got a sizable chunk of change invested already in this project ! With 3 intakes,3 sets of headers,Rods, Pistons and the list goes on !! I'm also trying to trade in my truck on a New Diesel so I can tow around a possible 2 Car Hauler !! So I can give a little to get a lot !!!:D

The wife is the one to shoot it down !!! I've got a sizable chunk of change invested already in this project ! With 3 intakes,3 sets of headers,Rods, Pistons and the list goes on !! I'm also trying to trade in my truck on a New Diesel so I can tow around a possible 2 Car Hauler !! So I can give a little to get a lot !!!:D

Oh ok. It got shot down on YOUR end. LOL

Slants don't require real heavy spring pressures from all I've heard and read. In fact, the Mopar engine book says 80 pounds seat pressure and 200 open. That seems light, but it's just a slant. Of course, the more lift your cam has, the more the spring pressure requirements change. That's why I stuck with low lift. I want reliability and longevity.

I think it was CharleyS that said that to me also SS :hello2: same here on the longevity :happy1:

I think it was CharleyS that said that to me also SS :hello2: same here on the longevity :happy1:

Yeah he runs one of the Comp grinds that everybody's always hatin on. And his **** runs like a bat outta hell. I seen the whole thing in person. lol

reliability means more fun

hop in & go when you wanna

slant6's are known for reliability

Pretty much exactly my goal. 250 plus HP reliable slant. The temptation to make it a drag car is there, but I have had enough of those type cars. This one is going to be something actually fun to drive.

-
Back