Possibly the ugliest Barracuda I have ever draged home, But it is so cool!

-
Probably just get it running and drive it. Can't stand the ideal of taking it apart for a restoration that I would never be able to afford. So just get it running good is the plan. maybe start restoring the interior first if it runs.

There ya go!! That's EXACTLY what I'd do. Make it mechanically sound, fix the driver's seat maybe, and drive the wheels off of it. PS, I wouldn't even wash the outside of it, leave just as it looks now.

Here are a couple of pics of friends 66 with vinyl top. They are super rare & look cool.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 126.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 479
  • parts 125.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 466
do a good tune-up on it , flush out the old fluids, redo seats, throw on some new/good tires on it and drive it.

Very cool unmolested car you've got there!

My 66 originally had a vinyl top, too. It was originally citron gold with a black vinyl top. Including the other two in this thread, that makes three that I've seen. They are indeed pretty rare.

Here's a pic of mine. You can see the wide drip rails moldings in this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1134 (Medium).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 458
Very cool unmolested car you've got there!

My 66 originally had a vinyl top, too. It was originally citron gold with a black vinyl top. Including the other two in this thread, that makes three that I've seen. They are indeed pretty rare.

Here's a pic of mine. You can see the wide drip rails moldings in this pic.

Don't recall seeing others with the vinyl top besides these here. That race car is really cool! I thought the drip rail molding was kind of cool. It completely covers the standard valley that would be there on non vinyl cars. My 68 Dart has a vinyl top and has normal drip rails like any other 68 Dart.

As much as I like to see that body style resto modded or pro streeted I would have to keep that car original as possible being what it is.
If it were mine of course.

Nice score, nice color too, wow, rare.

As much as I like to see that body style resto modded or pro streeted I would have to keep that car original as possible being what it is.
If it were mine of course.

Nice score, nice color too, wow, rare.

Me too!

Changed the oil and filter in preperation to fire up the little 273 for probably the first time in 28 years. Ran a gas line from a can and gave it a try. No gas so I changed the fuel pump and after a bit of cranking she fired up and ran a little rough for a couple minutes. Then after she warmed up I revved her up a bit and she cleaned out and is now purring like a kitten! Now I need brakes and to check out the tank.

One small little set back is I see water leaking and it my understanding that it was not uncommon for the freeze plugs to leak. Especially the one in the bellhousing area.

Fuel pick up and tank is needing a little attention.

Looked for the build sheet. To my surprise it has not been found in the usual places. The good thing is the floor boards look as nice as the trunk floor.

Attachments

• 1966 Mauve Formula S 007.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 440
  • 1966 Mauve Formula S 017.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 1966 Mauve Formula S 013.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 421
I suggest taking the valve covers off, and make sure the valve seal
rubber umbrellas are not coming apart.

They will fall down into the oil pan and clog the pickup of the oil pump.

Been there had that happen on a 340 Dart; 20+ years ago. :|

Yes, the "freeze" plugs will very likely need to be replaced. :(
Easiest way to do them, yank the engine.

Good luck with your project. :)

Really cool find! I bet there's not many Mauve Commando 4-spds around. That color looks great when its nice and shiny. I like.

Grant

Just wanted to add to what most others are saying. Such a rare color combo with half vinyl roof that it would be a shame to change too much. Sounds like you may have scored a little terror. Good luck with that!
Gary

Great find! Nice to see another early production 66' with the half vinyl roof still out there!

Great find!
I would get it roadworthy, running and driving well, and then part it out. Make some $$$$.
It's too old to restore.
Maybe keep the shell and make a straight axle old school gasser out of it.
That's all it's good for.

Had everyone going for a minute there!
Enjoy it, and then fix it up as you go.
Looks like a really fun car to enjoy.

On the fender tag I don't know what the following codes are.

H=1
Y=6

think I have the rest but if anyone wants to decode post up.

Just noticed it has the Valiant emblem and not the fish on the front grill and back window trim. I guess this would mean it was a fairly early production 66 model year car.
Yes, early production. Very nice! I have one too....an others. One is a citron Formula S automatic with a vinyl top! The H1 code is for the power brakes and the Y6 is black vinyl top. According to your Certicard, it has a sure grip too. 8 3/4 rear? It's interesting that it has a Plymouth emblem horn button. My early one came with the Valiant "V" to match the other emblems but it was built 2 weeks earlier than yours. Was yours built at the LA or Hamtramck plant? If you get tired of it, It's brothers and sisters down here would love to welcome it home!
Mark

Yes, early production. Very nice! I have one too....an others. One is a citron Formula S automatic with a vinyl top! The H1 code is for the power brakes and the Y6 is black vinyl top. According to your Certicard, it has a sure grip too. 8 3/4 rear? It's interesting that it has a Plymouth emblem horn button. My early one came with the Valiant "V" to match the other emblems but it was built 2 weeks earlier than yours. Was yours built at the LA or Hamtramck plant? If you get tired of it, It's brothers and sisters down here would love to welcome it home!
Mark

Doesn't have the 8-3/4 rear but it is sure grip and still has the round tag attached to the diff. Car was built in LA. Little bummed to not fine the build sheet. However the floors still had the paint on them and looked great under the carpet. Pretty cool the car was bought right here in Fontana and was a one owner car. Did you see what they did to the air cleaner for the smog testing back in the day? Moved the breather hose to the top inside of the filter. I'm going to have to attempt to repair the air cleaner top and return it back to factory.

Know it looks weird but believe that commando aircleaner with tube is stock setup for a 66 california car.

Oldschoolcuda

Wow. See what your talking about now after putting on glasses. Thought hose was just laying on top of aircleaner at first but definately looks connected on top.

Awesome score and rare find....yeah I'm jealous :hello2:

Rickster

-
Back