rethreading thermostat holes from 5/16 to 3/8 ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
The 5/16" threads for my thermostat do not feel good/ might strip. Can I enlarge the thread size to 3/8" without creating a problem ? Will they have enought material to tighten correctly ?

What intake manifold is it?

I studded my 360LA which already were 3/8ths. and used some torque-spreading conical washers, like as are on the slanty manifolds.
if your stat house is flat and the receiving area is adequate, it won't take much torque to keep it from leaking. To make it even easier, I run a 7pound cap. The hoses and stuff last forever.
If you need a sealer, you can't beat "the right Stuff." but it's a PITA to remove later.

Last edited:
To answer your question...i have done that and it worked fine.Are there other options...absolutely.

To answer your question...i have done that and it worked fine.Are there other options...absolutely.
Thanks, I just checked a Drill Tap chart, 5/16" is the correct drill size for a 3/8"-NC thread. Did a test with a 5/16 nut, you can tap it to 3/8-NC no problem.

Thanks, I just checked a Drill Tap chart, 5/16" is the correct drill size for a 3/8"-NC thread. Did a test with a 5/16 nut, you can tap it to 3/8-NC no problem.
You will probably have to drill your thermostat housing and enlarge the gasket holes. What a pain.

You will probably have to drill your thermostat housing and enlarge the gasket holes. What a pain.

3 minutes tops.

No pain killers required.

I would take the extra time to do it right with a Heli-Coli set though.

3 minutes tops.

No pain killers required.

I would take the extra time to do it right with a Heli-Coli set though.
Exactly. What a pain modifying everything to make it work where a thread insert will fix it right.

Don't you already have to drill and tap to 3/8 to install a 5/16 coil?

Why not just use the 3/8 bolt rather than put in the coil?

Studs are not as easy to clean around and remove sealant from, or gasket scrape around.

...and if they corrode, that could be the end of your intake.

thread inserts are huge. I doubt they would have the room on a poly, as the drill is a .488 for this.
get-attachment.jpg

Helicoil would be the smallest OD repair or drill and tap for next oversize....(gasp) metric!
0123132.jpg

I used these for a LA pump housing on the bottom 2 holes from the oil pan. They worked great but the initial hole is huge.

View attachment 1715879667

So, again, why not "just" use the next SAE size- 3/8 if you are already going to drill a hole that's almost the correct size to tap for 3/8?

I'd almost bet you could drill the existing holes flush and be able to tap them to 3/8.

The 5/16" threads for my thermostat do not feel good/ might strip. Can I enlarge the thread size to 3/8" without creating a problem ? Will they have enought material to tighten correctly ?
MAke sure the threads are clean all the way down the hole. It's a cast iron manifold so it's pretty tough and forgiving. I use a pocket screwdriver to loosen the gunk in the bolt holes then blow them out with compressed air than follow up (carefully) with a thread chaser. I don't use a tap. You might have enough good threads for a stud and some Locktite. (might) Clean the threads on the bolt if you are reusing that.

Last edited:
I agree with @Alaskan_TA and others; do a Heli Coil. I have done a bunch of them, and they work great. In the time we have been discussing other options, you could have gone to a store, bought them, and had it installed. They work great and are easy to install. You won't be sorry.

-
Back