So you thought my rattling/ticking noise was an exhaust leak?

-
No noise coasting in neutral?? My guess is driveshaft...50+ year design of ball n trunnion...junk

But I would pull diff cover first....kiss method

Well, so much for exhaust rattles! If it does turn out to be your Ball/Trunnion front U-joint, fix it for good this way. The ball & trunnion is a very good design that does a fine job for a long time, but at this late date the parts are old and it's less expensive and easier in the long run to convert to cross/roller.

Did someone put some nuts in your hubcabs?
That's what I thought, but then noticed that the sequence was - rev, wheel starts to turn, let off gas pedal, ticking starts...guess that could be centrifugal force in the wheel easing up, allowing the nut in the hubcap to fall away from being pinned to the hubcap...but seems like it would go rev, tick tick tick, quiet, release pedal, quiet, easing into tick tick tick if it were a nut...

I would drop driveshaft first, roll diff by hand.
Pulling cover is messy, have a pan handy to catch the spill.

Is that unit being operated in drive or manual low? And if it is in drive will it stop if You select low?

I have a compete ball and trunion driveshaft that was rebuilt in the mid eightys by a local drive shaft shop.
I would sell it if you need parts, or cut it down to fit your car. It was out of a b body.

In your video with light on ball and trunnion, looks like the clamp or boot is loose.

Hey,i have the B&T from a 59 i did a powertrain swap on. Forgot i had spare parts. Good news for me. I was concerned about mine,went as far as copying the link to convert mine to a slip yoke.

Gotts drop the driveshaft, 8 bolts.

It's hard to tell by the video exactly what the noise is but it wont hurt to drop the rear diff cover and at the very least change the oil and replace the pinion seal. It looks as though it has been leaking for quite some time. While you are doing that, drop the drive shaft and feel how smooth the rear U-joint rotates on each cap and feel how smooth the ball and trunnion rotates through its range of motion. Drive shaft noise can "travel" down the shaft causing a "tinny" sound. I think you are going to find that noise in one of those components.

My money's on the differential's worn out. Probably cross pin or spider gears, especially if you've been spinning the tire/tires now and again.

A torque converter bolt coming loose sounds similar to that when the head starts to hit the webbing on the back of the block.

But if it doesn't make any noise in neutral that would eliminate torque convertor bolt.

But if it doesn't make any noise in neutral that would eliminate torque convertor bolt.
Not necessarily. May rub only under load.
But in my experience it gets worse.
Wonder what it sounds like in reverse?

i did not check the driveshaft for movement. All i did was take the video. So when i dig deeper into this.....

1st- put in nuetral and rock driveshaft back and forth
2nd- pull wheels and drums and re test running in gear
3rd- remove diff cover and check to see if anything is broken

When i bought the car in early october, there were no noises like this at all like it should be. This started out as a very slight noise and has progressed to how you hear it in the video. I have only driven the car about 300 miles since i bought it.

As far as the noise goes and putting in nuetral while coasting, the noise goes away. Revving in nuetral while coasting the noise is not there. Put it back in drive, and accelerate, the noise comes back. while its making the noise, if i accelerate a little slower, the noise getting quieter. The harder im on the gas, the fast the noise gets and the louder it gets. It is def coming from the back of the car though. Without more testing, im pretty perplexed as to what it could be. Im at work now so i will try to take a look this evening after im done coaching my teams basketball practice. Sorry to keep you guys waiting!
Are You able to answer My Question is post#34, and where are You at there with this? If it is the rear I wouldn't be too bummed, We practically give away std. units
comparatively here in the classifieds all the time. Lol, You just have some work ahead of You, that's all! But it may not be, so.....................................

He just put 14's on where 13's used to live. Shaun, are you pretty sure the tires are not rubbing on anything, especially the inner side of the rims? The B&T still has a good ol' U-joint on the back. I had a bad pinion bearing in a Ford 9" It would only rattle on deceleration. The bearing was shot to the point I could rattle the yoke 1/8 inch each way.

Ok I’m out here right now checking this thing out. Have both wheels and drums off. When in park, if I spin the axles by hand, sounds like very dry bearings are making a lot of noise. In nuetral when I rock the drive shaft back and forth there is maybe 1/4-1/2 of play. Seems fine to be there. Both axles sound the same when rotating by hand...

Figured you would have at least checked the oil level by now, if it has any,as mentioned earlier.

Yes sir I have already done that. In fact the level was fine. I dropped the cover and replaced the fluid too. Inside the diff looked fine. The noise is coming from this part here, Can I get a new one or what do I need to do to fix it?

0FD98AFC-6A28-4D6E-B754-02D145FF1C65.jpeg

Awesome! We are getting somewhere. Perhaps disassembling and inspecting it may be a good place to start.
Perhaps all it needs is cleaning and grease.

Never taken one apart before. Does the driveshaft need to be dropped to take it off? Is there a how to anywhere for this?

-
Back