Stock stroke 360 on the dyno

-
No, though I probably wasn’t very clear on it considering your post.
Being that you have both heads in the shop and dealt with them before, do ether or both of the heads have the ability under the valve cover to be used as a Magnum or LA head?

This is what I was remembering. If I’m at fault, let me know!
Yeah I always have to look it up LOL. IIRC, one brand comes in an LA version and a Magnum version. The casting is set for both and is machined for one or the other. I think it is the Indy... MA-X and LA-X versions. Here is a pix of the LA-X with the un-drilled Magnum pads beside the shaft rockers stands. Hughes Engines

Yeah I always have to look it up LOL. IIRC, one brand comes in an LA version and a Magnum version. The casting is set for both and is machined for one or the other. I think it is the Indy... MA-X and LA-X versions. Here is a pix of the LA-X with the un-drilled Magnum pads beside the shaft rockers stands. Hughes Engines
Oh freakin BAMM! Thanks. I guess I was off.
I knew there was a head out there that was set up casting wise for ether head. Didn’t MP have this as well or was I stuck in dream land?

Being that you have both heads in the shop and dealt with them before, do ether or both of the heads have the ability under the valve cover to be used as a Magnum or LA head?

My main thought was, the the EQ and RHS castings are quite different. If I was going to go all out on iron head flow, with either of those two castings, I would choose the RHS. Plus the bosses for the Magnum rocker mounts are much heavier on the RHS than the EQ allowing for a greater variance of rocker position on the RHS head.

The only EQ head I have in the shop has Magnum valve gear and LA intake bolt pattern. I believe they come with the Magnum intake bolt pattern also. The EQ casting I have would not lend itself to be directly machined for the LA shaft rocker system.

The RHS heads I have use the LA intake bolt pattern. RHS uses the same casting for the LA shaft mount or Magnum rockers, and just machines the casting differently. I have used the RHS LAX (LA shaft mount) head to install Chevy stud mounted rockers by machining the Magnum rocker bosses to accept the Chevy rockers in my desired location. As I have only desired the LA intake pattern I never investigated if the RHS head comes with a Magnum intake bolt pattern.

Engine Quest has two Magnum head designs. One allows for an LA intake (
EQ- CH318BA )
, Ch318B for magnum intakes. Cast Iron heads. (edit) -okay i could be wrong. i didn't realize some heads have both patterns
RHS LAX and Magnum heads are both closed chamber, iron heads; either set of heads are for magnum or LA blocks.

Last edited:
Hah.........and now our dyno is drained and the whole kit-and-kaboodle is stuffed in a corner. We could drag it out and reconnect in a few hours, but the shop is filling with Cody's art.

Kinda feels good to go a different direction.

-
Back