The MOPAR power myth?

-
I always like to see how advertised or dyno numbers, or local cruise fantasy numbers never prove to be true at the track. Lol

I always like to see how advertised or dyno numbers, or local cruise fantasy numbers never prove to be true at the track. Lol
I hear ya. I ran the car down the track many times with the 528 in it. That motor had 772 to the flywheel and it ran 9.90's all day long. This new engine made 850.xx on the dyno and I am looking for low 9;60's out of. Still pump gas combo....

I grew up with "MOPAR makes power."

When I got my first one i figured I would keep it all Ma, but now I just don't know.

The rear ends ain't great, so swap a 8 3/4 or 9" or 60.
Trans, ehhh.... Also just ok...

Let's be honest the bottom end, oiling, geometry, and heads are ehh....not the best...

The cost is stupid, so what the hell....

I'm 8K Into my 512 and it's not done. Aint even seen the machine shop yet....

Why?
Cost per HP just don't add up.

The dark side is calling....
Where did you get all this information from about mopars to say it has power myths.

Wondering who u are calling a young buck !! I been called a few diff. things, but ain`t been called that in about 4-50 yrs !!-------LOL 426 Hemi`s are still the coolest engine on the planet.
so you think I was calling you a young buck ? Naa I call it like it is you old goat. lol joking

127 more cubic inches, thats sad .
Still isn't a factory production passenger car head.
815 is sad? That`s about 90 more than mine has and I don`t have stock heads either. Alum. mopar aftermarket heads don`t flow as good as rat aftermarket heads either! So, how much h.p. does ur mopar make ?? I doubt very seriously if ur making 815 !!

Its 2018 and Mopar historical facts have faded. The truth is when muscle cars were being made racing was also HUGE. I bet most think chevy dominated. Thats logical- look at the sheer numbers of chevelles and camaros out there. Fact is Mopar dominated drag racing and nascar. The LS-6 454 that everybody has a raging hard on over was not the dominant force. But by the way Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines omitted mopars and slobbered over chevy thru the 80s and 90s youd think chevy was god. Nitro top fuel funny cars - that class had to select an engine based on a production V8. Guess what? They didnt choose the LT-1 350 or 454. They chose the mopar Hemi. So that camaro and mustang nitro funny car had a MOPAR 426 hemi based engine in it. The 340 rated at 275hp punched well above its weight. Out ran all chevy small blocks with the exception of the 360 horse power 11:1 compression solid cammed LT-1 350. The 440 magnum while being an engine youd shift under 6 grand punched above its weight as well. LS-5 365hp 454 specced out near identical to 375hp 440 mag. 10.5:1 comp, hyd cam etc. The LS-5 got slaughtered by the 440! The 440 six pack was a mild build compared to an LS-6 and the six pack could match and even beat the 11:1 compression solid cammed high flow head 450 horse power big block. Im 49 ears old and at the car shows the chevys with 350 engines are simply a YAWN. Big block chevys get more attention but mopars and BOP cars (Buick Olds Pontiac) really draw people in. I like what the masses dont like or dont know about. Harley Davidsons look nice but now that everyone has one- no thanks.

815 is sad? That`s about 90 more than mine has and I don`t have stock heads either. Alum. mopar aftermarket heads don`t flow as good as rat aftermarket heads either! So, how much h.p. does ur mopar make ?? I doubt very seriously if ur making 815 !!
LOL I was saying he made that much more, but had enough cid to make even more...so what happened?

I don't have big inch stuff, mid 500 hp small block.

Mopars look and sound so much cooler than any other brand. My brother, father and i have some pretty odd cars to everyone else around my area, a 74 Duster, 67 barracuda coupe ( notchback) and a 64 valiant signet 200. You do not see any those around here and i love it!

Its 2018 and Mopar historical facts have faded. The truth is when muscle cars were being made racing was also HUGE. I bet most think chevy dominated. Thats logical- look at the sheer numbers of chevelles and camaros out there. Fact is Mopar dominated drag racing and nascar. The LS-6 454 that everybody has a raging hard on over was not the dominant force. But by the way Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines omitted mopars and slobbered over chevy thru the 80s and 90s youd think chevy was god. Nitro top fuel funny cars - that class had to select an engine based on a production V8. Guess what? They didnt choose the LT-1 350 or 454. They chose the mopar Hemi. So that camaro and mustang nitro funny car had a MOPAR 426 hemi based engine in it. The 340 rated at 275hp punched well above its weight. Out ran all chevy small blocks with the exception of the 360 horse power 11:1 compression solid cammed LT-1 350. The 440 magnum while being an engine youd shift under 6 grand punched above its weight as well. LS-5 365hp 454 specced out near identical to 375hp 440 mag. 10.5:1 comp, hyd cam etc. The LS-5 got slaughtered by the 440! The 440 six pack was a mild build compared to an LS-6 and the six pack could match and even beat the 11:1 compression solid cammed high flow head 450 horse power big block. Im 49 ears old and at the car shows the chevys with 350 engines are simply a YAWN. Big block chevys get more attention but mopars and BOP cars (Buick Olds Pontiac) really draw people in. I like what the masses dont like or dont know about. Harley Davidsons look nice but now that everyone has one- no thanks.

Funny, I used to run against a ls 454, it was almost identicle in power to my hemi. And I got a friend that has held 18 records w/ a 265 sbc. Another that has a 9.0 , (bumping the 8`s) 350 sbc. vega.
I borrowed a late friends charger one night, ( way back ) when my new ford truck quit me. I had a date w/ my wife, and needed a car. On the way to take her home, a new trans am firebird pulled up beside me at a stop light, u can guess what happened. That old crusty charger embarrassed the hell out of that firebird , the charger had a 440 w/ a thrown together 6 pack set up on it . Yeah, I used to get a kick out of force and the rest touting their fords and whatnot, when all are running a Chrysler designed engine. The 426 is still the most awesome mass produced engine ever built, I had two of them at one time in my life. OH WELL--------

Its true that the 426 Hemi untouched off the showroom floor ran equal to the big hitters from GM- LS-6, Stage One, Hurst Olds even the 440 6 bbl. But the Hemi came with so much more easily exploitable potential. The induction, heads and block of a hemi could produce so much more power with the addition standard go fast components- cam, headers and maybe a gear change. The others engines response to said components was no where near as productive. A moparts member years ago put it this way: "Its 1970 and all the big hitter big blocks are present. Stock they all run mid 13s. Put $500 into each motor in go fast goodies and watch the Hemi walk away from all of them."

-
Back