The MOPAR power myth?

-
It kind of sucks seeing so many people get in front of you on building there engine faster.
Don’t let it ge you down!

I'm lucky enough to see some bad *** engines and what there really making.

I had ideas about what I wanted to make and how doable it is. It's way cheaper to make big power in a brand X.

Why is no one in the big money cars running a RB block?

There’s in the big money because there using the cheapest engines available.

Chevy, Ford, MoPar, in that order.
Most inexpensive to most expensive.
It also used to be; Cheapest to build but, Hardest to make the best most efficient power (Chevy) to best basic set up for best power at the highest price. (MoPar)
The aftermarket has put billions into making a pile of crap to fast. It would have been smarter to embrace the MoPar. But there a bit pricey, not as popular, not as commonly seen hot rodders or on the street.

I got into MOPAR because I like the cars and they make power.

I still like the cars but at some point if I tell my builder I want X Hp number at Y dollar cost, where do you think Z ends up?

Its easy to get 5-60
I got into MOPAR because I like the cars and they make power.

I still like the cars but at some point if I tell my builder I want X Hp number at Y dollar cost, where do you think Z ends up?
Its easier to get 5-600 h.p. out of a sbc, and way cheaper too. Rats head design will let u run bigger valves than a hemi= more airflow. PUT THE SAME SIZE VALVES AND EVERYTHING ELSE EQUAL, THE HEMI WILL KICK THE RATS ***.

While valve size matters, in the HEMI head a smaller valve can out flow a bigger one since the valve has (near?) zero shrouding and opens on a better angle into the center of the head.

HEMI head, superior flow, superior design, superior power.

It is Mopar itself that is self destructing. It doesn't care about the racing community. Unless you bring major air time on a sports channel. I went out for lunch with Ray Barton The "Hemi Guru". All Ray ever did was raced for Mopar . You see his Hemi's everywhere. He is now racing and building New COPO Camaro's.

I asked Him why? He said since Fiat took over they only care about selling their new junk Hemi's out of the box. He showed me the Difference in just the quality of the iron blocks GM-Mopar. You can see how much better the metal is in the new GM parts when Machined. His words to me were F--k Mopar. they never gave him anything for nothing. He won one season with a Camaro and GM gave him 3 COPO's and a trailer of motors and parts.

So If Mopar is screwing those that made them. How much backing do you think they will give the little guy. Or how much do you think they care about their product they sell once its out the door. That is why it cost so much today. The suppliers of race parts get no help in research and development from Mopar. They are on their own and that brings the prices up considerably.

I have a mega block. Now NA. World product block's are Done . Keep what you have because all you'll have in the future is NOS Or used up parts to work with. Like Cuba. LOL

I am hoping the "Fireball Camaro" gives that Mopar an Oklahoma *** whooping. Maybe Grandma mopar will see the light.

Last edited:
So much hate for mopar geez you'd think this was an anti mopar site.
Until you wake up and smell the coffee and realize it is the other way around.
No worries, dream on! Keep dreaming MoPar cares about us and there secrectly developing new B/RB & LA blocks as well as cost effective ways to defeat Chevy and Ford.

That tire smoke you were dreaming about, from your car at the strip getting ready to stomp what ever pulled up to the Christmas tree....
It’s the MoPar camp burning down in real life.

Honestly I'm surprised by the amount of stuff available for Chrysler engines. They haven't made the small block in 15yrs, and it hasn't been installed in a performance vehicle in over 40 years. The big block hasn't been made for almost 40 years. Why the hell would the after market be clamoring to build parts for engines that powered motorhomes and pickups? Like the cars or not, GM and Ford have produced performance cars straight through. There's actually a lot more stuff available for Chrysler than for Buick, Olds, Pontiac.

The truth is that Mopars have been dead and irrelevant for decades, and they aren't making any more. Anything you want or need you better get it soon. The useable cores are drying up quickly. Seeing one in the wild is pretty rare nowadays. In 10-20yrs they will all be in rich guys garages. Enjoy what you can, while you can.

@Pascamp

You make a good point. But it behoves me that the MP aftermarket block is no longer made and Edelbrock comes out with a head with the extra row of bolt holes and the potential of making enough power to actually use and possibly need the extra clamp force on blocks are no longer made.

And how freakin long did us small block guys wait for a decent cylinder head man ch less a “Victor head?!?!”

How long has the Victor series head been available to brand C & F?

MP has been out of the game for a while. There parts are expensive. They are (mostly) really good parts but at a price non conducive for my wallet.

Last rant....

How about getting a satisfactory response from MP on the crap W5 heads? Lowest bidder won that to make the Head I think!

It is Mopar itself that is self destructing. It doesn't care about the racing community. Unless you bring major air time on a sports channel. I went out for lunch with Ray Barton The "Hemi Guru". All Ray ever did was raced for Mopar . You see his Hemi's everywhere. He is now racing and building New COPO Camaro's.

I asked Him why? He said since Fiat took over they only care about selling their new junk Hemi's out of the box. He showed me the Difference in just the quality of the iron blocks GM-Mopar. You can see how much better the metal is in the new GM parts when Machined. His words to me were F--k Mopar. they never gave him anything for nothing. He won one season with a Camaro and GM gave him 3 COPO's and a trailer of motors and parts.

So If Mopar is screwing those that made them. How much backing do you think they will give the little guy. Or how much do you think they care about their product they sell once its out the door. That is why it cost so much today. The suppliers of race parts get no help in research and development from Mopar. They are on their own and that brings the prices up considerably.

I have a mega block. Now NA. World product block's are Done . Keep what you have because all you'll have in the future is NOS Or used up parts to work with. Like Cuba. LOL

I am hoping the "Fireball Camaro" gives that Mopar an Oklahoma *** whooping. Maybe Grandma mopar will see the light.
Great insight, a lot of people can't handle the truth..............
That being said, i'll stick with my old junk Mopars, i'll never be in the league that Barton is in.
I'm just a small time 400 to 500 horsepower guy.
Stock blocks etc. are good enough for me, just livin' the good old days when they were good! (to me)
I just want to drive them and not worry about the max strength and power, i am more of a weekend cruiser.
However, i am open minded enough that i know that Chevy and Ford put out a great product and always have!
Especially these days.............
If i was serious about maximum power and longevity, i would be a fool to not look at the way it really is currently with all parts and manufacturers if i were doing it for a living like many are. (Like Barton)

Last edited:
Great insight, a lot of people can't handle the truth..............
That being said, i'll stick with my old junk Mopars, i'll never be in the league that Barton is in.
I'm just a small time 400 to 500 horsepower guy.
Stock blocks etc. are good enough for me, just livin' the good old days when they were good! (to me)
I just want to drive them and not worry about the max strength and power, i am more of a weekend cruiser.
However, i am open minded enough that i know that Chevy and Ford put out a great product and always have!
Especially these days.............
If i was serious about maximum power and longevity, i would be a fool to not look at the way it really is currently with all parts and manufacturers if i were doing it for a living like many are. (Like Barton)
I can agree GM has come a long way with modern Power trains, Its just the newer body designs that make me want to throw up.

I myself am a die hard Mopar fanatic . What I stated above are just the facts. Keep the race blocks you have and buy up the ones you see.

I'm lucky enough to see some bad *** engines and what there really making.

I had ideas about what I wanted to make and how doable it is. It's way cheaper to make big power in a brand X.

Why is no one in the big money cars running a RB block?
The mopar blocks won`t take as much h.p. as brand x, They break between the cam and main bearings. Mopar heads are sucking hind tit compared to other makes also. Mopars run good, till you get in a class where you have to have (BIG HEAD FLOW,as in prostock.

The mopar blocks won`t take as much h.p. as brand x, They break between the cam and main bearings. Mopar heads are sucking hind tit compared to other makes also. Mopars run good, till you get in a class where you have to have (BIG HEAD FLOW,as in prostock.

So a 318/340/360 can't take as much hp as a 350/302/351 ? 1st ive heard, and the heads suck compared ? Thanks for the insite, trading sap for a Nova that was close :)

I'm not worried.
My engines get me from point A to point B reliably.
The 318s are so bullet proof they will outlast me.
And anything the Ford or Chevy ever built.:poke:

I'm not worried.
My engines get me from point A to point B reliably.
The 318s are so bullet proof they will outlast me.
And anything the Ford or Chevy ever built.:poke:
I agree.....
I don' need or honestly even want more than 450 hp.....
My car is a street car that gets driven...on the public streets....and I don't street race.
It's a 318 that'll get stroked and fuel injection in the future.
I'm looking for around 400hp and dependable.
It's a time capsule. ....a memory machine for me....and it looks beautiful.
Fords and Chevys are cool too.
I like Mopars.

Jeff

Mopars run good, till you get in a class where you have to have (BIG HEAD FLOW,as in prostock.
The S/B big head flow head is the W9. Not to shabby. The better heads for big flow aren't made anymore. The W8.
Ether way, ethe head, should get the job done for the all out racer I think.

Also do remember the W2 & W5 heads are replacement "like" style heads without the extra head bolts. These two heads are above Edelbrock heads but fall short of the full race head that the later years produced. They are still relatively inexpensive compared to the race heads and slightly more expensive than Edelbrock heads.

W9 by Ryan J. ( Shady Dell Speed Shop )

LIFT-----AS-CAST--------PORTED
------------IN/EX-----------IN/EX
.100”------72.5/N/A--------74.2/N/A
.200”---129.4/103.5-----141.5/102.8
.300”---189.8/146.6-----200.1/158.7
.400”---239.8/172.5-----245.0/203.6
.450”---265.6/176.0-----276.0/215.6
.500”---288.1/182.8-----303.6/226.0
.550”—293.2/182.8-----332.2/233.6
.600”---295.0/184.6-----349.8/241.5
.650”---295.0/184.6-----370.2/247.7
.700”---295.0/184.6-----379.2/251.1
.750”----N/A/N/A--------387.5/258.1

W7 CNC Arrington heads as reported by Ryan J

LIFT-----CNC ARRINGTON PORTS
.100”----67.3/N/A
.200”—127.7/96.6
.300”—198.4/138.0
.400”—277.1/200.5
.450”---312.3/222.5
.500”---339.2/236.3
.550”---359.6/248.4
.600”---377.3/258.8

.650”---386.2/267.4
.700”---392.5/270.8
.750”---393.3/274.3
.800”---393.3/276.4

OK! Who out there NEEDS this kind of head flow?

The S/B big head flow head is the W9. Not to shabby. The better heads for big flow aren't made anymore. The W8.
Ether way, ethe head, should get the job done for the all out racer I think.

Also do remember the W2 & W5 heads are replacement "like" style heads without the extra head bolts. These two heads are above Edelbrock heads but fall short of the full race head that the later years produced. They are still relatively inexpensive compared to the race heads and slightly more expensive than Edelbrock heads.

W9 by Ryan J. ( Shady Dell Speed Shop )

LIFT-----AS-CAST--------PORTED
------------IN/EX-----------IN/EX
.100”------72.5/N/A--------74.2/N/A
.200”---129.4/103.5-----141.5/102.8
.300”---189.8/146.6-----200.1/158.7
.400”---239.8/172.5-----245.0/203.6
.450”---265.6/176.0-----276.0/215.6
.500”---288.1/182.8-----303.6/226.0
.550”—293.2/182.8-----332.2/233.6
.600”---295.0/184.6-----349.8/241.5
.650”---295.0/184.6-----370.2/247.7
.700”---295.0/184.6-----379.2/251.1
.750”----N/A/N/A--------387.5/258.1

W7 CNC Arrington heads as reported by Ryan J

LIFT-----CNC ARRINGTON PORTS
.100”----67.3/N/A
.200”—127.7/96.6
.300”—198.4/138.0
.400”—277.1/200.5
.450”---312.3/222.5
.500”---339.2/236.3
.550”---359.6/248.4
.600”---377.3/258.8

.650”---386.2/267.4
.700”---392.5/270.8
.750”---393.3/274.3
.800”---393.3/276.4

OK! Who out there NEEDS this kind of head flow?
Thus is all nice, but they don`t run small blocks in prostock .

Ehhhh, then run them on the street and start ruling! LMAO!! Ha ha ha

While valve size matters, in the HEMI head a smaller valve can out flow a bigger one since the valve has (near?) zero shrouding and opens on a better angle into the center of the head.

HEMI head, superior flow, superior design, superior power.

I had two hemi`s, raced one for 14 yrs. The canted head rat head will take a bigger valve, cause they don`t hit each other w/ huge cam designs (lift and duration), the hemi can only go so far in that respect , they will collide ! That`s why chysler copied the rat head in the end yrs of prostock.
A rat head design can outflow a hemi when taking them to the limit. Sounds like u don`t know sh-- about hemi`s to me !-----Talking 426 style heads.

-
Back