The MOPAR power myth?

-
I grew up with "MOPAR makes power."

When I got my first one i figured I would keep it all Ma, but now I just don't know.

The rear ends ain't great, so swap a 8 3/4 or 9" or 60.
Trans, ehhh.... Also just ok...

Let's be honest the bottom end, oiling, geometry, and heads are ehh....not the best...

The cost is stupid, so what the hell....

I'm 8K Into my 512 and it's not done. Aint even seen the machine shop yet....

Why?
Cost per HP just don't add up.

The dark side is calling....
Part of the reason mopar mills are cheaper for me than others ...is that I already have an intake pile from swapin around, distributors, rocker sets, blocks n cranks, rods, a flow bench and my wits.
No matter what make, when going stroker "costs are close" for rotating assembly.
Heads, yeah they leave use a few after market castings that need modifying to make big power, gotta be smart in knowing what to do here.
The bottom end isn't weak, yeah the oiling system needs some attention with sustained rpms of 7,ooo+rpms, but they hang in there fine touching those rpms here and there. I hardly doubt you're gonna hurt it.

Sounds like you'd be happy with a 67-69 Camaro.
It sounds like that, doesn't it?
He just needs the nudge............
And i don't think there's anything wrong with owning a Camaro or any other Chevy for that matter.
It's all about choice and for god's sake, drive it!

Hmmm...

Guess $60k for a Big Block Chevy is cheap.

572" Chevy in a 70 and a 1/2 Camaro that was all lexan and fiberglass. Just before it melted to the ground in a garage fire he finally got the tune on that $60k Chevy engine to run in the mid 8's.

Took the insurance money and built a blown 572" and stuck it in an Opel. Cost on the blown engine was just a shade over $60k.

Yes, I do the work my self. I pay pay for it all. Be it paying cuz my girl is pissed that I spend each night at the shop till late.

Why dose this dam pic keep showing up???
20180208_173707_zpsiahtta47.jpg

20180207_163840_zpsorstcqgs.jpg

20180208_114724_zpsdwn79vpv.jpg

This is just my "run around" engine.

Gotta love Ma, 80 grams out on the front and 60 grams out on the rear...

Now .5 out.

Rods were 23 out big end and 10 small end..

Now .5 out.

Building the 9" short, moving springs, fuel cell, Then the 727, then drive shaft... Then finish the 512....

:0

$$$$

Glad your not giving up and going to the dark side. Your car is going to kick some ***. Just one thing at a time, dont spread out on multiple things at once. Cabt wait to see it all done.

Cope, it’s all about the sheet metal. Everything else just lives underneath.

well yeah! sorry wont no english or grammer class's,..no spelling class ether,..just mechanical stuff bout vehicles with big 800+ c.i. motors with couple thousand ftlbs of torque!!! you know,..man stuff! not stuff your secretory should be skilled at! im sure some wheres theres websites dedicated to proper grammer and this ones bout fixin up old cars and seeing how well thay do from a performance stand point! some body correct me if'in im wrong!

Well, decently spoken.... or correctly written English would always be a good thing. The better it is well written the more effective communication will be.

I would say, picking apart anyone’s message left here could probably be done in someway, or fashion. I try not to nit pick. But sometimes what I read is beyond pathetic and that needs to be addressed.

Let’s just not get stupid on the matter.
Remind yourself of what you want to communicate and type what you mean simply. Not the way you speak.

So yea dirty white boy, your messages are a slow read and difficult to decipher sometimes because your writing the way you speak.
Please do not take offense to it.

Last edited:
sorry y'all dont likes way i talk,..ill go back to me hole after i get me sum them french fryed tater's,... humm huhhh...

Hmmm...

Guess $60k for a Big Block Chevy is cheap.

572" Chevy in a 70 and a 1/2 Camaro that was all lexan and fiberglass. Just before it melted to the ground in a garage fire he finally got the tune on that $60k Chevy engine to run in the mid 8's.

Took the insurance money and built a blown 572" and stuck it in an Opel. Cost on the blown engine was just a shade over $60k.
Robert : Seen a '70 Opel GT with an actual Boss 302 mill , with 14-32 Goodyear slicks ,tucked in near stock. rear fenders . The man also had an early Lenco. No more communication, I think the son of such. swiped a couple thousand dollars of automotive stereo equipment.

I had my 408 built on a 5.9Magnum block by good Mopar builder. It cost about $7K with carb, headers, etc ready to run. It has run great at strip 8 years now, never touched internals. My Chevy friend that we race with has gone thru 2 motors, 3 tc, 3 trans. He has definitely exceeded my investment in a quality engine. Pay for quality once, reap rewards forever.

I’m sorry, I tend to do things cheaply when possible, and spend cash where it’s really needed. So maybe I don’t understand.

How do you have 8k in an engine that hasn’t even seen the machine shop yet?

Complaining about 8k for a 512? Lol i got 7k in my .040 over 340 with forged internals and aluminum heads, intake. For some reason it was easy to justify spending serious money on the engine. To me even if you had 12-14k in a 512 that doesnt sound unreasonable to me, im sure it will be bullet proof and badass.

When I climb into my Valiant, I really have no idea if she's going to start and smoke the tires, or leave me stranded.
She is the most finicky lady I have ever been in a relationship with. Either way though, she gives me butterflies.

Again
I'm not giving up on Ma.
I just needed to *****. I get to work for a high end shop and see a lot of engines go to the dyno.

-
Back