threaded plug on rear of block

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
Any advice in removing the threaded plugs on the back of a magnum 360. The recess is 5/16 square drive and I can"t seem to find a socket for this. 5/16 square stock fits but I can"t get enough leverage to break free, and yes they have been soaked but appear to have some thread lock on them.

I bought the square drive sockets at NAPA. If you want to pay shipping to and fro, I'll send you my square drive socket for 5/16".

That is really nice of you SHARPIE.....also you may want to heat the Block as well......

Do you happen to have Napa"s part number because they can"t fid it at my local store nor could I find it at Sears. I put a tap wrench around 5/16 square stock and that would work if they weren"t so frozen, afraid of breaking the handles. Thanks for the offer, if I can"t get them out after heating and more cursing I just might take you up on the offer! The entire engine came apart like butter untill...My first engine build at 46yrs young so I'll be asking many more newbie questions I'm sure.

Buy a quality 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter and grind the 3/8" to 5/16".
Minus .06 from 2 adjacent sides. Homemade tool and made of tool steel :)
Just dont let it get hot.

RedFish: It's been said that when a Mopar guy needs a special tool, he just makes it. I have a pile of 'em laying around. LOL

Get a grade 8 bolt, an old head bolt maybe and grind it until it is a nice tight fit in the plug. Once you have it fitting nice and tight get a ring spanner or a socket on the head of the bolt and make that plug an offer it can't refuse!

Try welding a nut to the square stock, thats how I pull large allen plugs, weld a nut onto a bolt, put the head of the bolt into the plug and twist the nut with a breaker bar, works everytime just make sure the weld is solid or it will just break.

Shawn.

-
Back