traction bars! yay or NEY

-
They work.. Don't get me wrong. The second "speed part" I ever bought for my first car was chrome Lakewood slapper bars. I set and ran them. The 318 2bbl in my Cuda (E body) couldnt spin anyway, but they looked cool. Then like most others, I learned the "how and why" of the factory approach and took them off. A mentor had them on his multi-record Stock Eliminator stick car (Ford). They work. But, Mopar provided some solid engineering that GM/Ford didn't, and until the Cal-Trac development was damn close to perfect and without the bars smacking into the speed bumps or looseing up as mine did...lol. Plus, it's more weight fort he car to lug around.

And I don't think I'll head back to the tunnel ram post...lol. I'm sure Stroker's letting me have it yet again...lol.

I think stroker may have got banned for a few days this morning... If you get time go back to the tunnel ram thread, I asked a question about the factory long ram set up you might know..

Snubber no Bars for me! Been that way for 30 years........ If I get my build done and have any money to spare i might try a set of Cal Tracs.

Save the T/bars for the Chevy guys.:iconbigg:

Just put good springs on it. Got a set of S/S 002/003 springs. No snubber and she hooks fine. As for doing it for looks. Well thats just personal preference. Don't need this thread for that. LOL If you like the looks then run them.

That's a cool looking Dart...

This thread keeps getting off the OP main topic which is " so i was figuring i might put them on just for looks ", not what hooks best...
Yup for the look not how they work. Hell the stickers in the 1/4 window dont do squat but they go with the look.

I was always told that track bars dont work on Mopars.

I've seen that here lots of times.

And they worked great on my Duster (8 3/4 4.10 suregrip).If I gave just enough throttle to spin the tires, I could keep the car sideways as long as I wanted. If I punched it, the whole car lifted up and she was gone. Never spun a tire when I didn't want it to.
Then again, my alignment guy said it was also the only set he had ever seen that was installed and set up properly, so maybe that's why most guys say they don't work.

lucahemi,

It is your car to do with as you please.

If you want the period look that the traction bars bring then put them on.

But if you really want the period look then you will have to put in an aftermarket sun roof, window tinting, flare the fenders with fiber-glas add ons, find an old set of L60-15 tires for the rear mounted on Crager S/S chrome spoke wheels, put in some air-shocks to allow the tires to fit, and don't forget the mud flaps in the fender wells. Make sure that your 8-track player is slung under the dash in plain sight right next to the CB-radio with the big whip-it antenna mounted on the center of the valance behind the rear glass or just mount it on the deck lid. Look around and see if you can find a front chin spoiler to install. You might want to make some shag carpet floor mats too.

Hey guys, did I forget anything? It's been a long time since I drove a really cool car.

Art

P.S. oh yeah, like none of you ever did any of that to your car back in the day. LOL

Don't know what kinda hot rods you built but you just described the biggest nerd-mobile on the planet, traction bars, cragars and 60's that fit is all a cool era correct car needs and maybe a hood tach an scoop.. Big difference between COOL an DOUCHE..

adj.pinion snubbers suck unless you like your car skyhigh in the rear.good traction bars like the orange ones pictured above are cool and do a very good job on four speed cars.

Traction bars and snubbers do basically the same thing. although I prefer the snubber. outta sight outta mind.. I have bent trac bars with my 4 sp 63 savoy. Then I went with ss springs and snubber.

adj.pinion snubbers suck unless you like your car skyhigh in the rear.good traction bars like the orange ones pictured above are cool and do a very good job on four speed cars.
You definitely had yours adjusted wrong!! Automatic cars get a 1/2" clearance between snubber and floor pan, 4 speed cars should be touching floor pan.

Don't know what kinda hot rods you built but you just described the biggest nerd-mobile on the planet, traction bars, cragars and 60's that fit is all a cool era correct car needs and maybe a hood tach an scoop.. Big difference between COOL an DOUCHE..

LOL, honestly, I saw all that garbage on a few '64 - '66 Mustang coupes, and '67 - '68 Camaros back in the late 1970s cruising scenes in SoCal. We Mopar guys used to laugh and make comments.

Those red type t-bars work fine on any mild street car if installed correctly, ford, chevy and------------------MOPARS---------------- y'all didn't think I'd say it did yuns???? MOPAR---MOPAR---MOPAR-----

LOL, honestly, I saw all that garbage on a few '64 - '66 Mustang coupes, and '67 - '68 Camaros back in the late 1970s cruising scenes in SoCal. We Mopar guys used to laugh and make comments.

Yeah they were some hot rodders around here like that, one of my buddys broke his finger with his super cool chrome chain link steering wheel, that was so freakin' funny, we had warned him about it..

You should have scored some rear view mirror dice while you were there...
Nope around here it was the feathers held up to the mirror with the clip. Along with the graduation tassels. I also had my prom dates garter around the mirror mount neck. Come to think of it my mirror did drop alot from the added weight.

Nope around here it was the feathers held up to the mirror with the clip. Along with the graduation tassels. I also had my prom dates garter around the mirror mount neck. Come to think of it my mirror did drop alot from the added weight.

Sorry I was thinking to far era back, now I remember the roach clip--- I mean alligator clip feathers and rolled up rebel flag bandanna on the rear view...

!CDBQVnQBWk~$(KGrHqR,!jgE0vlrNOmcBNNKBOntq!~~_12.JPG

My '68 Dart's pinion snubber was beat to shyt. A new, adjustable one costs $70.00.

I opted for traction bars. Completely eliminated "Wheel-Hop".

I got used, yellow ones for $11.00 - painted them flat Black.

And , yeah...It's got Cragar SS Wheels.

engine004-1.jpg

---

Sorry I was thinking to far era back, now I remember the roach clip--- I mean alligator clip feathers and rolled up rebel flag bandanna on the rear view...

!CDBQVnQBWk~$(KGrHqR,!jgE0vlrNOmcBNNKBOntq!~~_12.JPG

Those are the clips. Dont forget to use Cragar SS on the fronts and steels with cheater slicks for rear tires.

Those are the clips. Dont forget to use Cragar SS on the fronts and steels with cheater slicks for rear tires.

Thinkin' back now my clips had weed resin all over them, and the cops never once checked them, man there was some dumb cops around here back in the 80's...

i say yay i got a set on my 73 dart sport that is badged as a demon,they are chrome and i think they look swseet! Dont know if they do any thing ,they came on the car never had them off.

My '68 Dart's pinion snubber was beat to shyt. A new, adjustable one costs $70.00.

I opted for traction bars. Completely eliminated "Wheel-Hop".

I got used, yellow ones for $11.00 - painted them flat Black.

And , yeah...It's got Cragar SS Wheels.

Cragar SS are timeless, I still run them, always have always will....

-
Back