What spark plugs are you guys running in your 408 strokers?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
on my 408 I'm running eddy aluminum heads eddy air gap and was running a 750 quick fuel carb. I'm getting ready for my winter project so I'm going to switch over to fuel injection TB system from Bill Hamilton fuel injection who i got hooked up with through this sight. I pulled the number one plug and noticed that it was fuel soaked pretty good. with out having the plug in front of me I can't tell you what brand it is but I do remember seeing 12yc maybe?? Just curious what other guys are using?

Pat Faley
67 barracuda Notchback
69 barracuda convertible
East Peoria,IL

I don't have a stroker, but the right spark plug should be chosen according to the correct dimensions, gap and heat range for your location.

You base heat range of off compression ratio to start, but you really need to make sure the base ring is heat soaked about 2-3 threads. Too cold- plug fouling ...too hot-predetonation from the plugs temp setting off mixture before spark happens.

Pick your brand, for they are like favorite colors.

One tip I can give you, pick one that has a base ring you can actually see color change on ;)

Google spark plug reading, enjoy.

I'm running a 11-1-360cid with a Comp solid @ 250@.050, Edel. Heads, intake, 750 with zero problems with the recommended plug by Edelbrock. May try a step cooler for kicks.

Autolite plugs. Champions did not last nearly as long. I putt around town a lot in the car too.

416 stroker, edelbrock head comp 274S solid, M1 single plane, 750DP Silver Claw carb.

Im using Champion in my Edelbrock heads on my 410. They work great.

Not many people are answering the OP question. He didn't ask what brand was your favorite, he asked what plug for his application? I'm going to be needing to pick a plug pretty soon and need to know what specific plug works best in an aluminum headed 408 similar to his build in the original question? I had NGK's in the 340 without any trouble.

Not many people are answering the OP question. He didn't ask what brand was your favorite, he asked what plug for his application? I'm going to be needing to pick a plug pretty soon and need to know what specific plug works best in an aluminum headed 408 similar to his build in the original question? I had NGK's in the 340 without any trouble.

I use NGK R5671A-7 in my 410 stroker (Edelbrock heads, 10.89:1 compression). I have also used their -8 plugs (which are 1 step colder), but they foul quicker in my motor.

Which what I was trying to convey, its not brand that really matters a whole lot, its heat range vs compression and readablility.
A gold/silver finish plug will be easier to read.

I use NGK R5671A-7 in my 410 stroker (Edelbrock heads, 10.89:1 compression). I have also used their -8 plugs (which are 1 step colder), but they foul quicker in my motor.

....And a plug that's too cold a range will foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
Which what I was trying to convey, its not brand that really matters a whole lot, its heat range vs compression and readablility.

I switched to the same heat range Autolite plug and they lasted longer and didn't foul out as quick.

Thanks Brian T that is exactly what I was asking which plug everyone was using currently I'm using what the head manufacture is recommending which is the Champion RC12YC now the next question is what are you gapping the plugs at? I know that I have been gapping them at 37 which is what the service manual says so do you set the gap different for the 408?
Pat Faley

Gap depends on electronics.I run MSD distributor and 7AL 2 step box...MSD recommends .050 gap.Works for me,never a fouled plug in 4 years

-
Back