Which A-bodies do big blocks fit best in?

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
here at a buddies place and was looking at his yard of cars and was thinking that maybe one year(s) of a-bodies allows better installation of the B-RB engines than other models. I was thinking the 1973+ was the best year, but he insisted the 1967-69 were not problem if you went with manual steering. Not familiar with 1970-72 models as in engine compartment width and height. What is some experience that you guys have had on these models packing big block engines fitment?

The 67 and up of course fit the best, but the low deck engines can be made to fit well in the 66 and back cars, especially if it's a mild application and can use manifolds instead of custom headers.

I think from 67+ the engine bay is pretty much the same. 66 and older have a smaller engine bay, atleast size wise.

i've done a 64 and multiple 67-up with 440's. they fit all of them well. more parts for the 67-up though.

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

Demonmotor.jpg

If you are good at incremental problem solving, then you can pretty much install a big block into any year. There are more "bolt on" parts for '67 and up, however. Using a motor plate and fenderwell headers will just about get them into anything, though!

NONE. They're all a *****.
Take ya at least a day to remove the engine, but a small block comes right out. Headers are a nitemare, no matter what brand. You will be heating and pinging them to fit for days.

Take it from a guy who has raced a 440 Dart for years...Getcha a hot small block.
You'll be one very happy Camper.

GTS-440-2b.jpg

GTS-440-3b.jpg

Take ya at least a day to remove the engine, but a small block comes right out. Headers are a nitemare, no matter what brand. You will be heating and pinging them to fit for days.

Take it from a guy who has raced a 440 Dart for years...Getcha a hot small block.

View attachment 1716085213

View attachment 1716085214
that's the truth, big blocks have been a pain to put in, been there and done that with some friends cars. I just sold all by small block stuff, so I'm not sure if I did want to do an of those an more. Being old and chonkers and trying to reach the distributor in the back with a bad back, bad leg, bad shoulder, bad breath, not sure it would be good for me anyway. Though this 73' he has does make me want to build a track car.

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

View attachment 1716085213

View attachment 1716085214

???? a day to get the motor out? really? i could get a big block out just as fast as a small block. maybe faster because the bell housing bolts sre so much easier to get to on tbe big block. i used pro parts headers on my demon and didn't have to put any dings in them at all. the 64 valiant i had custom headers made and they were easy as hell to get on and off.

'67-up has a larger engine compartment than the early A's. The lowdeck is easier to install but still a royal PITA, true.

But it's worth it when you hit the pedal. I wouldn't trade my 451 for anything unless it was for a 470 or a 499
:steering:

Id go with a duster,demon or dart sport

The engine bay will be just as tight byt at least you'll have room for tires in the back

I used TTI headers 400SR218 for my 400 install. Didn't have to dimple dent cuss or well maybe some cursing.

The engine plate did help because I moved the engine up a half inch to clear the pitman arm, unsure how the Schumacher mounts would go.

I also have electric power steering so there is that.

Spark plugs will be a chore unless you have 3 elbows or willing to cut an access panel on the inner fender. #6 is my evil cylinder.

Well, I would think it would be the ones the FACTORY put a big block into... 67-69 Barracuda and Dart. Although I expect all the 67-and-up engine compartments would be basically the same.

I'm not seeing anything difficult about putting a big block in my 70, it's a cake walk .

Spark plugs will be a chore unless you have 3 elbows or willing to cut an access panel on the inner fender. #6 is my evil cylinder.
On my low-deck '72 with B-body headers, the left side plugs are easy and reached from above.
Since I have a motor plate and the alternator up high on the right, #2 and #4 are best reached from underneath. #8 is easy from above.

Notice I didn't mention #6 either :realcrazy: A 1-1/2" hole saw to the inner fender and it's a straight shot, just reach behind the tire :)

that's the truth, big blocks have been a pain to put in, been there and done that with some friends cars. I just sold all by small block stuff, so I'm not sure if I did want to do an of those an more. Being old and chonkers and trying to reach the distributor in the back with a bad back, bad leg, bad shoulder, bad breath, not sure it would be good for me anyway. Though this 73' he has does make me want to build a track car.

View attachment 1716085229

View attachment 1716085232

View attachment 1716085233

View attachment 1716085234

View attachment 1716085238

View attachment 1716085239
Drop your 440 into that RX7 instead!

View attachment 1716085229

View attachment 1716085232

View attachment 1716085233

View attachment 1716085234

View attachment 1716085238

View attachment 1716085239
THAT looks like a great Duster, Mig.
Untouched engine and it's a V8 Car. Great project.

Just plain WOW.
Serious Duster and lil Cuda, too.
Front halving is def the way to go, but way out of reach/knowledge of most Moparites.
If I ever do, Riley MotorSports will be my parts source. :thumbsup:
Small block in the Barracuda. The Duster runs 8.70's at 150+

-
Back