Why are 318's low HP and torque?

-
Very cool! So I guess I don't need much head work if any. I am definitely going to put in a new camshaft, but haven't decided on one yet. I know I shouldn't get a cam with too big of a lift because the stock low compression 318 won't like it. I am hoping to find a nice 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 rear end soon. Other than that, I think I'm going to be happy with my build once it's all done! Thanks y'all! Hey you guys got pics of your engine setups? Thanks...

The lift has little to do with compression loss. It's the duration, lobe separation and valve events you need to pay attention to. In fact, I would try to get as high a lift as I could get within reason.

Ooooh. That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for the info. I just don't want to go too radical. After all I am only street driving this build and want to get some nice drivablility out of it.

Ooooh. That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for the info. I just don't want to go too radical. After all I am only street driving this build and want to get some nice drivablility out of it.

That crane number I linked to Summit is a great one.

Okay. I was looking at that before. It looks nice. Will I need to buy lifters and rods for it or will it come with?

Also my head casting numbers are as follows... 434646, e18, HN. Can someone help me decipher them? Thanks!

Use the lifters that come with it. You can use your stock push rods.

Okay gotcha!

Any verdict on my heads? Are they 302's? 434646, e18, HN

Okay so I found out that my heads are from a 318 5.2 Liter engine from the years of '85-'89.. It said the engine had flat tappets...? What is that?

I'm trying to research the heads but not much information is coming up. I'm not sure what to make of these heads....

I don't have a later model interchange book but 434646 may be a casting number. The part number is on the first or last intake runner under the rocker shafts. 302 is the last 3 numbers of the part number. tmm

Hmmm I'll check again, but I didn't see that stamp when I looked earlier. I'll check back though. No tell tail signs just by looking at the head to know if they're 302's huh?

Here's a shot: tmm.

Attachments

• 062702952042[00] (1).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 929
So I am putting a new cam in my motor as well as adding the performer intake manifold.

What heads other than 302's would be a nice bolt on to my 318 build? What are some of my options?

That's about it unless you do a Magnum head conversion. I wouldn't suggest that, because it will require a different intake manifold. Also, The Weiand Action Plus is much better than the performer.....just my opinion.

It's runners are a lot bigger. It's almost a copy of the LD4B Edelbrock. Go find pictures and look at the difference for yourself. It's very obvious.

I just did a side by side comparison and I see what you mean. They look very different. So you think I can squeez a few more horses out of my build with the weiand intake?

It's funny cause the performer intake is more money than the weiand intake through sumittracing new.....

I just did a side by side comparison and I see what you mean. They look very different. So you think I can squeez a few more horses out of my build with the weiand intake?

It's funny cause the performer intake is more money than the weiand intake through sumittracing new.....

Absolutely. What you see with the Weiand is a "funnel" effect with the runners. That increases velocity at the the intake port. The Performer is a more popular seller hence the price difference. I would be willing to bet there's a 20HP difference. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. See....the Performers are all exact copies of the stock intakes that they replace. So, weight reduction is their only real claim to fame. Now....you might have to mod some brackets up front for the Weiand....particularly the A/C bracket if you're running that.....but I think the mods are well worth the better intake.

That's about it unless you do a Magnum head conversion. I wouldn't suggest that, because it will require a different intake manifold. Also, The Weiand Action Plus is much better than the performer.....just my opinion.

The Performer will clear the hood better in some cases especially if you plan on using a Thermoquad. Plus the Performer gives a little more bottom end vs more top end for the Weiand just my experience. Both are good intakes or a 318.
As far as the head conversion is concerned I would just swap to a 5.2 Magnum engine if you can find a good used one and that way you pick up the Magnum heads, roller cam, and a block that should have better core shift as well. JMO.

Well I just got a man who is willing to sell me a freshly cleaned up performer intake for $80 so I think the mighty dollar will rule this decision for my build. If it doesn't work out I can always buy a new weiand intake. Thanks for the info everyone.

Well I just got a man who is willing to sell me a freshly cleaned up performer intake for $80 so I think the mighty dollar will rule this decision for my build. If it doesn't work out I can always buy a new weiand intake. Thanks for the info everyone.

It'll work fine. That price would have me too.

Buildin' on a budget y'all. Other than an 8 3/4 rear end my project is complete in parts. Just a little elbow grease and paint and this motor and trans will be detailed and ready to drop in my dart. Since I have a running slant in my dart right now, I'm not in a real hurry to finish the project. But I would like to get this done in the next two months tops.....I hope ha ha. Always something else right?!

If I want to guestimate a potential HP and TQ for my build could someone tell me where I can input my data?

I have a performer intake manifold, 650 Carter AVS carburetor, headman headers drag style and a stock bottom end. Not sure if I'm going to port the heads yet...

If I want to guestimate a potential HP and TQ for my build could someone tell me where I can input my data?

I have a performer intake manifold, 650 Carter AVS carburetor, headman headers drag style and a stock bottom end. Not sure if I'm going to port the heads yet...

I'll put it all in my desktop dyno if you put your combo all in one post rather than me having to backtrack to piece it together.

What you said with Stock cam? Around 200hp
If you swap out for high lift mild duration ( 260-268 ) 280hp
Ported heads around 300hp
Bump up compression 9:1- 9.5:1 around 325hp+

I had a 72 318 Dart , all I did was shave the heads a bit , put a holley street dominator , thermoquad off a 74 440 Road Runner with 1/2" spacer , hedman headers , and a cam and 3:55 8 3/4 diff and the thing screamed . Did massive burnouts and ran with 396 Camaros and 400 birds all day .
With the right parts and some luck you'll have a great low buck car .

i have 318 040 bore and kb 167 pistons heads are 675 ported with 1.88 and 1.60 heads is had mining 58 cc i have crane 340 cam with 1.6 roller rockers and ported edelbrock insug and edelbrock 650 thuder hedman header how hp in this ?

Crane cam duration 278/290, lift .467/.494. Edelbrock aluminum performer intake manifold, drag style headman headers, stock heads, 650 AVS Carter carburetor, stock bottom end, 727 trans, 83/4 rear end. Thanks.

-
Back