1970 Duster AlterKtion, 4 Link, LS/T56/Turbo and Minitub

-
Weird. Same part number. 90c b40 on the list at the bottom.

BTW the air filter shootout on the turbo LS (700 crank horse) episode is the 2nd half of the episode of season 3 episode 34

More progress this weekend! Finally had a full weekend to get to work on the car! Got the new rotors on and the car back on all 4s! Then gave it a much needed bath from sitting all winter. Spent all day Sunday completely cleaning the shop since it looked like a bomb went off with the winters project.

Of course I had the driveshaft allll week and never test fit it because I figured it was right. Went to put it in and they made it too long. Not sure what happened there... so I have to send it back and wait on that. Also went to bolt the T56 shifter on the T56 Magnum annnndddd it doesnt fit lol. One thing after another. So I ordered a new shifter as well.

Also need to raise the rear end up an inch or two. When sitting on level ground in the garage its a bit lower now with the new setup.

20220709_140118.jpg

20220709_161822.jpg

20220709_171923.jpg

20220709_171947.jpg

Got the new driveshaft while I was gone this week! Put it in Sunday and went for a little run down town to get ice cream and there were some other muscle cars there!

294241626_1227652747987987_3111757231464928229_n.jpg

Going to a buddies with a lift tonight to hopefully get the exhaust in and done. Boom tubes came in last week too.

Got the boom tubes mocked up last night. They look awful. With the weld in subframes it puts the boom tubes almost 3" from the bottom of the rocker. Back to the drawing board of getting the exhaust out the back.

Option 1
Mustang tank. Looked into this and it seems to be an awesome option. I'd just reweld the filler location on so that I could hook up the factory fuel filler in the trunk. HOWEVER my damn roll bars are right in the way of where the tank would be, so I'd have to rework those.

Option 2
Put the pipes under the axle, which I feel like would look wonky. Though some of these pictures I've found don't look too bad. The first one is even a dana 60 in a duster with a very similar 4 link setup!
IMG_6446.jpg

collins exhaust.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

Exhaust2.jpg

Option 3
Try and fit the pipes out past the link mounts and coilover springs, but the exhaust will be very close to the calipers. ehh

Last edited:
What about running a 14” pipe right off the turbo straight out the front fender!
We don’t need no stinking mufflers.
:thumbsup:

What about Challenger T/A side dumps?

With the 3" exhaust I'd worry they'd look just as wonky since the subframe is so low. Is a challenger a full frame car?

In this picture I still dont like how far down the exhaust hangs. I usually dump my exhaust right behind the bumper with turn downs so you cant see any exhaust at all. Nice clean look.

1-1597250205336@2x.jpg

What about running a 14” pipe right off the turbo straight out the front fender!
We don’t need no stinking mufflers.
:thumbsup:

lmao I drove around for a day with just a down pipe under the car and it was the most annoying drive ever. Vibrated the whole car from the exhaust tone haha. Also too loud for a car I want to drive almost daily in the summer and I don't have the heart to cut a hole in a good fender.

With the 3" exhaust I'd worry they'd look just as wonky since the subframe is so low. Is a challenger a full frame car?

In this picture I still dont like how far down the exhaust hangs. I usually dump my exhaust right behind the bumper with turn downs so you cant see any exhaust at all. Nice clean look.

View attachment 1715958039

Challenger is a unibody car. I am not to sure how close you can have them to the body, but I just thought if you keep it in front of the axle you dont have to worry about it interfering with your gas tank/brakes or going under the axle.

Challenger is a unibody car. I am not to sure how close you can have them to the body, but I just thought if you keep it in front of the axle you dont have to worry about it interfering with your gas tank/brakes or going under the axle.

Yeah, that's why I was trying out the thin boom tubes to try and do exactly that. But with the uscartool subframes in there, it just puts it so low it looks like an exhaust with a broken hanger. I think the T/A style exhaust will look the same way. I may hold one up tonight to see, but I think it'll be too low.

I personally do not like the look of the TA exhaust. Never have. The funnel shaped tips look “parts store” to me. You might look in to oval tubing to get a little more ground clearance.

Yeah, that's why I was trying out the thin boom tubes to try and do exactly that. But with the uscartool subframes in there, it just puts it so low it looks like an exhaust with a broken hanger. I think the T/A style exhaust will look the same way. I may hold one up tonight to see, but I think it'll be too low.

I can understand it looking low, but I would also think that exhaust tubes going under the axle would look just as low if not lower. I am not a huge fan of the tips on the challenger either, but for location and angle, it could work with the duster body lines depending on the tips you choose.

Yeah, I never really cared for them either. So I had a single oval 4" before. Now I split to duel 3" to keep the area where I need to be. An oval 3" still starts to limit so I'd like to try and keep it 3" round.

areas.jpg

I can understand it looking low, but I would also think that exhaust tubes going under the axle would look just as low if not lower. I am not a huge fan of the tips on the challenger either, but for location and angle, it could work with the duster body lines depending on the tips you choose.

Agreed,

I think the exhaust going under the axle will look like crap. I was think the same thing with the side exit that maybe the right tip wouldn't look so bad, but may still be too low. I may see if I can spend far too much time welding pie cuts together to get around the axle tube on the top side. I may hold some exhaust up under it as well. If I do it in far enough so its hidden by the fuel tank maybe it wont be noticeable.

I think I'm going to try for this right here first. This is on @abodyjoe's car running 2.5" with the same lynx setup I have. Its the older version of the 8.75 kit, so his mounts are in the same location as on my 60. I think I can manage a 1/4 on each side of that pipe and still fit it doing this.

4.JPG

Last edited:
over the axle (9" Ford) TTi 3" exhaust system on this Dart with the Street Lynx. Right out of the box with the exception of shortening the last few inches so the turndowns fit nicely right at the tip of the rear valance. 4-1/2 ground clearance from the lowest point (header collector flange).

When the owner told me wanted 3" exhaust out the back. I thought....lets give it a try. I was surprised how well it fit. I have more pics but have to dig them out.

20200309_155636 (1).jpg

20200309_155706 (1).jpg

20200309_155309 (2).jpg

I think I'm going to try for this right here first. This is on @abodyjoe's car running 2.5" with the same lynx setup I have. Its the older version of the 8.75 kit, so his mounts are in the same location as on my 60. I think I can manage a 1/4 on each side of that pipe and still fit it doing this.

View attachment 1715958866

was just gonna look for those pictures and ssk if you have tried that yet.

over the axle (9" Ford) TTi 3" exhaust system on this Dart with the Street Lynx. Right out of the box with the exception of shortening the last few inches so the turndowns fit nicely right at the tip of the rear valance. 4-1/2 ground clearance from the lowest point (header collector flange).

When the owner told me wanted 3" exhaust out the back. I thought....lets give it a try. I was surprised how well it fit. I have more pics but have to dig them out.

View attachment 1715959229

View attachment 1715959230

View attachment 1715959231

The issue is the link location on the 8 3/4 or 9" vs the dana 60. I had a 4" exhaust going out past the link mounts previously with the street lynx and my 8 3/4 that I built. The 60 moves the mounts way out and takes up a lot of space. Unless, like abodyjoe, that car has an early kit. Do you have more pictures of the exhaust itself?

The issue is the link location on the 8 3/4 or 9" vs the dana 60. I had a 4" exhaust going out past the link mounts previously with the street lynx and my 8 3/4 that I built. The 60 moves the mounts way out and takes up a lot of space. Unless, like abodyjoe, that car has an early kit. Do you have more pictures of the exhaust itself?

I believe your 8-3/4 has as much space / room as the 9" (of the purple Dart above) with the Lynx mounts identical. The difference I notice between the TTi system and AbodyJoes pic is the TTi systems mufflers had offset outlets.

pics of only mods (took out about 4" per side) to the TTi 3" package with Street Lynx. amazing how symmetrical the tail pipes and the whole system for that matter is

20190711_113735.jpg

20190711_113710.jpg

20190711_123334.jpg

Last edited:
I believe your 8-3/4 has as much space / room as the 9" (of the purple Dart above) with the Lynx mounts identical. The difference I notice between the TTi system and AbodyJoes pic is the TTi systems mufflers had offset outlets.

pics of only mods (took out about 4" per side) to the TTi 3" package with Street Lynx. amazing how symmetrical the tail pipes and the whole system for that matter is

View attachment 1715959705

View attachment 1715959706

View attachment 1715959707

Its a dana 60 now underneath there not the 8.75. Thats the issue haha. And no mufflers since its a turbo so thats no issue.

-
Back