1972 Scamp, my regular cruiser

-
I just went through all the pics of your car and the on on ebay, and I definately like yours better without the stripe. I also prefer the shade of green on yours too. It looks absolutely awesome! :cheers:

I drove the car 150+ miles this weekend, shuttled the family around to various events, and parked in numerous parking lots. I love driving something with some style, and I wanted to keep to the promise I made to myself about it being "a driver."

I'm having a hard time deciding about the stripe. Here are some pictures of what it would like. I know I need to decide for myself, but I'm interested in getting some opinions from those who have been reading this thread. Please chime in.

IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

Last edited:
I kinda like the car better without and heres why. I think the stripe hits the side markers the wrong way and makes them stick out and it looks longer without. The stripe almost shortens the car lines. But no matter which way you decide you have a very eyecatching ride. You should start a poll!

Tough call, but I really like pic #2......not that I don't like pic #1! It's a Scamp, it looks good anyway!

After much deliberation Steve, I say no stripe. I like the clean look.

I must say though, I got hung up on your truck build, that is one fine piece right there. AND I now know about what year the tailgate is that I have in my possession. :D

I'm kind a partial to the stripe, I like it with but that's just me....looks great "Nice Ride"
Brad

Thanks for all the feedback FABO! I've decided to say no to the stripe. I appreciate the time each of you took to offer your opinion.

With that decision, the car is basically done. Time to drive and enjoy it.

There are a few little details to wrap up: 1) repairing a spot of the tint on the driver rear quarter window, 2) adding my slant6 bee decals, and 3) replacing the radiator. The car doesn't run hot but when I flushed the radiator last fall I noticed it filled VERY slowly and appears to be plugged. Should be simple to replace.

Good decision your car you have to enjoy it...GREAT LOOKING RIDE!!!!!!!

Late to the party as usual but I'm glad you went without the stripe. Sometimes the minimalist look works better and IMO the stripe was one step too many. Your green is much nicer than that CL car. Bet it really pops in the sun. When I first read you were going to paint the top rather than going back to the vinyl I thought "eehh" but it turned out very nice with the black wheels. Are you going to put hub caps on? Let me get the voting started with "capless".

I've been driving it every reasonably nice day. I love that my kids love to ride in it!

I have accomplished a little more. There was a "rip" in the quarter-window tint from the previous owner forcing the window down after the roller broke. I had that widow tint replaced last week. I also added a black front chin spoiler.

I also finally added my Slant 6 Bee decals. Although I originally thought I would put them where the original "Scamp" decals were located, I changed my mind. I decided to place them in the corner of the quarter glass. These are the large of the two sizes I made, 5.5 inches wide. I took a couple of pictures from distance because I wanted to give a sense of how big/small they look on the car.

IMG_6997.JPG

IMG_6996.JPG

IMG_6995.JPG

Here is the new front spoiler:
IMG_6994.JPG

Last edited:
That's AWESOME looks good...Great....I'm a lurker...But it SCREAMS COOL!!!!

Is the decal on the inside or outside of glass...Outside I guess?

great car!!! congradulations!
I like it either way, i'm a plain type so I 'd leave off the stipe if me.
and some people wonder why the slant!!???????
the answer is move to the sticks, build a big garage and have an A body with the slant, 273, 318, 360, 383, 440 and 426 hemi???? o k 8 bay garage just in case!!?????

That's AWESOME looks good...Great....I'm a lurker...But it SCREAMS COOL!!!!

Is the decal on the inside or outside of glass...Outside I guess?

Yes, the decal is on the outside. It was originally planned for the front fender, but I like this better. Subtle, yet cool.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dang man-that thing just oozes cool :glasses7:

...and like you said, it's awesome that your kids like riding in it

I pick up some dog dish caps from anothe FABO member. Spent some time repairing one dent, more time on a buffer, and finally some paint.

IMG_7342.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

How it currently rides
IMG_7360.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

Not sure if I like it better than what I had, but I can switch back in less than 5 minutes. Here is what it was:

IMG_7353.JPG

Last edited:
Early on in the thread I was thinking it would look sweet if you added the dog dish hubcaps...what about the beauty rings AND the hubcaps? I think that would be about perfect. Great job.

Jay

Well, the winter has set in here in Southeast Ohio. The salt trucks have been out and that means my two old Mopars are likely to hibernate for a while in the garage. I drove the Scamp a LOT this summer and enjoyed the hell out of it. The only project I have planned for the winter is to update the radio and speaker. I found a fellow Mopar guy who will replace the insides of my AM radio and turn it into an AM/FM stereo with AUX input, USB, and Bluetooth. I think this is a great option for those of us who don't want to hack up our dashes.

I have removed my stereo and mono speaker and sent the radio to:

Ricks Radio Conversions - Radio Conversions, Car Radio Conversion

I'll post pics of the new radio "guts" when I get them from Rick.

I have decided to replace the front mono speaker with this:

Custom Audio

The new speaker has perfectly matching mounting holes so install should be easy. I thought about going with dual 3" or 4" round speakers with the mounting bracket sold by a member here, but decided to try this option first. I have heard good reviews and it was only $45 on Ebay.

I'm not going to immediately install rear speakers, but will probably do so.

Here is the current set up I've been running. That is a wireless bluetooth speaker that was sitting on top of the dash.

IMG_5119.JPG

Here is the radio before I ship it off:

IMG_7654.JPG

Stock AM Inside:

IMG_7657.JPG

Last edited:
Great build, can't believe I missed it before! Drivers are great, although ohio makes us keep them out of the salt. I love the look with dog dishes, and no stripe with black accents. That radio conversion looks cool, I will be watching that! Congrats on a cool car!

Great Job, I really like the way it looks, especially the painted top, I have been contemplating doing something along that same idea with mine but not completely sold on the idea yet

-
Back