70 Swinger Street/Strip build

-
Progress.

Tubular uppers, heimed strut rods, F body spindles/discs, reinforced LCA's with poly bushing. Got the torsion bars installed too.

The alignment guru will probably kick me, but, I'm gonna do a dirty camber/caster alignment at an estimated ride height using a floor jack to set height. Probably going to need to re-do after it's together and rolling. I'll put it on the trailer and head east to do that. :)

Got the dirty alignment for camber/caster done. After some discussion with a few folks I really trust, it was settled on -.5 Camber and 3.25* positive caster. Used an old beat up Bear model 27 Camber caster gauge that's missing the top cover plate. It's both Lee sisters in one, Ug Lee and Home Lee.

Got some of those shocks on from that place that makes junky traction devices. :)

Your catching up to me. I hit a lazy streak. (Well, I'm honest at least!)
I had my engine & K on a Harbor Freight dolly. The car awaited the engine & trans on jack stands. I codnt use my engine hoist for the operation. I whipped out my 2 floor jacks and lowered the car a little on each side till I could run the bolts in.

I'm almost done with the wiring. (Electric fuel pump left to do.)
And some plumbing... And some ....LOL!

Nice looking, good work. Keep posting!

Installed shift light in the dash today. Made a small bracket to install it.

Installed in the dash.

I need to mount a potentiometer, likely in the ash tray area to set when the light activates.

A dash with a freakin laser! Very nice. May want to test it first to make sure you don't incenerate your self.

Nice work on the alignment CB & great specs IMO......That "Lee" gauge looks almost familiar :)

Cool little street sleeper you got going 8)

Why the long studs on the front? :scratch:

Thick centerline 3.5" wide wheels with open ended lugs. The track doesn't like studs not getting to the middle of the lug head.

Back in the real low buck days. We swapped a rear axle and forgot to put the long studs in. Get to the track and notice. Grab some other stock studs, cut them off and hand screwed them with blue loctite into the lugs from outside, looking like they were long studs. Passed tech. LOL

Thick centerline 3.5" wide wheels with open ended lugs. The track doesn't like studs not getting to the middle of the lug head.

Back in the real low buck days. We swapped a rear axle and forgot to put the long studs in. Get to the track and notice. Grab some other stock studs, cut them off and hand screwed them with blue loctite into the lugs from outside, looking like they were long studs. Passed tech. LOL

LOL! Did the same thing on a buddy's street drivin' Camaro with Super Tricks, but on the front. Had Vette rallies with slicks on the rear.

Got radiator laid in and some fuel lines mocked up.

Oil Pressure cut off switch and braided line to gauge.

Some of the engine compartment wiring laid in place. I have some clean original straps to install once everything is finalized.

Got the engine primed yesterday. The cam had grooves in it for shaft oiling and last time I primed it pressure was about 55 psi. When it was on the dyno, it would start about 60-65 then move to about 50-55 psi at upper end rpms. I installed a set of restrictors and when priming it had almost 80 psi. The rockers were not hemoraging oil. Just a nice light flow. This is with a stock volume pump. I'm hoping the pressure will be better at higher RPM's and think it will.

Decided to put a fuel filter on prior to the fuel pump which is something I don't normally do. Made another small bracket/plate that will be welded to the fuel cell mounting bracket. 2 number 8 lines in from the cell and one out to filter and pump.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/crackedback/media/70 Dart 340 EK2/Fuelcellfilter1.jpg.html
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/crackedback/media/70 Dart 340 EK2/Fuelcellfilter.jpg.html

You say you installed some restrictors I am guessing to limit the oil headed to the rocker shafts.

What did you restrict and where.... Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Restrictors were put in oil feed holes below the rocker shaft in rocker stands. A .020 hole in them. The top was getting flooded with oil before. Now, a reasonable flow of oil. Should keep oil available for the mians/rods.

This isn't usually a necessary mod if the cam is cross drilled.

Restrictors were put in oil feed holes below the rocker shaft in rocker stands. A .020 hole in them. The top was getting flooded with oil before. Now, a reasonable flow of oil. Should keep oil available for the mians/rods.

This isn't usually a necessary mod if the cam is cross drilled.

I bet mine are getting flooded as well. I do have pushrod oiling in addition to the standard shaft oiling.

When I primed my engine on install the Heads got drenched with oil pretty quick. Next time I adjust the valves I am going to check this and make the mod if needed right then.

Did you use a screw in plug or a lil freeze plug drilled?

1/8 alum rod, spun it down a little so it would fit snug and lightly drove it in.

If you have both oiling I bet it's got plenty up top.

I love the idea of mounting the shift light in the dash I may borrow that concept.

rob, id like a couple pictures of your electric fuel pump mounting, and also where you ran your lines going into the fuel tank.

trying to build my fuel system this week.

James,

The pump is going to be mounted on the center trunk brace. Going to bend up a small standoff plate for mounting.

The pisser is the 10 and 15 gallon cells that are sold are sop close in size, it's tough to make it fit the way I want it too vs. the way it will. I can mount a 5 gallon the way I'd like, but that's too dang small.

The cell rack is going to use the two shock studs as forward attachment points and going to drill the bottom of the spare tire well in 2 places for rear.

You're welcome Adam.

Too much bandwidth from photobucket.. LOL Come Sept 1st you can see these.
Heater hose fitting

Installed

Oh Snap it's actualy sitting on 4 tires. LOL

Just like most things with these dang things. Ran lugs on by hand and a little at a time as they are long shank. The last lug nut to get run down decided to gall up the threads on a stud. Need to remove the wheel and clean up the beginning few threads, basically chewed up the first 4-6 threads on the long stud. Still has enough thread to hold the wheel. Now it looks like a stepped stud from a Cup car. :)

Driveshaft got ordered this morning. 3.5" DOM tube, 1350 yokes, non greasable joints with about a 7-10 day lead time. $210 delivered to my door. Not a big deal as there is plenty to do before the shaft arrives. The guy does nice work and has made a shaft for another member here. The localish guy sold his shop to a knucklehead and the quality and workmanship went downhill.

-
Back