70 Swinger Street/Strip build

-
Haha, I have that exact same blue Russell push lock hose going up to my carb too. That push lock hose is a booger to assemble if you don't know what you're doing. Boiling water was the key for me (heat the hose), then is was easy to assemble. :)

Nice progress Rob. Stupid question, but what's with the heater hose fitting?

I have two fittings come out of the firewall which are mounted to a plate. Not that it would look like a stocker under the hood, just wanted heater hoses, not carrying any water. The two fittings at the engine (intake/water pump outlet) are blocked off so no water enters the lines.

One of the older street race, hiding nitrous tricks. We used to run lines inside the heater hoses. One thing I always checked on cars that didn't appear to have nitrous was to touch the heater lines. If they were cold, I had a clue what might actually be on the inside! LOL

Haha, I have that exact same blue Russell push lock hose going up to my carb too. That push lock hose is a booger to assemble if you don't know what you're doing. Boiling water was the key for me (heat the hose), then is was easy to assemble. :)

Yeah, it can be a pain. I lubed the ends with trans fluid and pushed them on. Took a lot of effort. Didn't wear gloves the first time and treated myself to some pretty healthy blisters.

Hey, it's 100 or so out so it's garage time! LOL

Got the pinion angle set and tacked the perches. Now when you weld it's VERY important to pay attention to the settings on the machine. When I started out I thought the ground was bad.

It helps when you actually turn the voltage up from "ZERO". Wire doesn't like to melt! The weld on left had proper voltage. LOL

So after the welding fubar, ground that out and zapped the perches on.

Made a brake line. The pass side was already made, BUT, I moved the Tee that mounts to housing so the drivers side was too short now. The pass side, I just re-bent the line to take up the extra inch that it now had.

All painted up....

Driveshaft loop built. Look like it's way back, it's not. The yoke is fully in the transmission. The leading edge of the loop is in line with my front u-joint centerline.

Put some plates on floor and hump to secure the loop. 4 bolts through floor pan and a single stud up through shaft tunnel.

I saw something interesting in the NHRA rule book. They talk long and hard about the materials required to make a driveshaft loop. Not one single word/statement about the fastners to secure the loop. I guess you can make one out of .250 plate the attach it to the car with 6-32 machine screws and you'd technically be legal.

I like it when the Brown Truck shows up!

3.5" DOM tube, 1350 yokes and non greasable spicer u-joints

Tattons Driveline in Utah. A couple of people I know including MadDart have driveshafts from him

Attachments

• Tattons Card.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 569
Sprayed some black paint on the underside to make it a little more presentable. Covered the fuel lines with techflex insulation and installed them for what I hope is the last time.

Rear axle painted with brake lines installed. Got the rob-track plates finished and on...

Black push lock hose is available. The blue is...well...ugly.

As for assembly? A spritz of spray silicone works wonders.

Made a fuel cell rack. Uses the shock mount studs as front mounting points and two holes in bottom of tire well to secure. Ack, more of that ugly blue hose.... :)

I think this is the last decent sized project other than a radiator shroud for electric fans and exhaust. Lots of little stuff left and reinstalling stuff. Getting closer.

Mounted it off the trunk brace bracket, dead center of tire wheel. Whipped up a bracket and tacked it to the trunk brace. I made it so I could put a Mallory 250 pump on it as well. Never know when you need to "squeeze" a little more out of it! :)

That Mallory 250 pump works well. My buddy with the Nova and all the juice runs 2 of them. 1 on the motor and the other for the stand alone nitrous set up.

Damn your just about ready!

Black push lock hose is available. The blue is...well...ugly.

As for assembly? A spritz of spray silicone works wonders.

Haha, yeah well....A while back if you paid for the fittings they would send your 8' of blue hose free...I said to myself, I like free...:D

-
Back