Alterkation or HemiDenny

-
Look everyone thinks ford when they hear mustang 2 but honestly the spindle we use is far from the actual 74-78 mustang spindle ford produced 30 years ago.

Dang...lots of action on this.

I was busy driving my car all day so I missed all this.

Took it out on some long country winding roads and let the exhaust scare all the animals. Ran it hard...ran it on rough roads, ran it on smooth roads.
Ran the piss out of it.

Thats what this is really all about aint it.....driving our cars and enjoying the f$#J out of them.

I'm happy with what I have and I'm glad there is another option available.

Competition is what keeps things affordable to us and keeps innovation happening right?

So keep on innovating. :D

Dang...lots of action on this.

I was busy driving my car all day so I missed all this.

Took it out on some long country winding roads and let the exhaust scare all the animals. Ran it hard...ran it on rough roads, ran it on smooth roads.
Ran the piss out of it.

Thats what this is really all about aint it.....driving our cars and enjoying the f$#J out of them.

I'm happy with what I have and I'm glad there is another option available.

Competition is what keeps things affordable to us and keeps innovation happening right?

So keep on innovating. :D

well said.....you Sir, enjoy that smell of burning rubber.

Mopar to ya'
Denny

You can use a sn95 style hub bearing on the mustang 2 spindle and there is an adapter to run the cobra dual piston calipers.

check out my build im using 69 mustang hubs, 96 cobra rotors and calipers, mustangsteves.com caliper brackets. no added track width

Thanks Jim......... did he change anything? tires/wheels

Not yet but he is in need of some rear tires ;) .... as per him. Also I am going to get a few pics of the Demon K-member Denny built for my car and post them. Had the Bubbletop out at the cruise yesterday. First time out in over a year........the Demon gets more road time than the others now. I'm spoiled with the Hemi Demon. Love the flat deck installation..... major difference than the Hemi Hurst Dart I did.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88358

I have 245/35/18 on 9 inch rims on the front of my barracuda with the RMS system

i was wrong earlier on the size they are 255/35/18s on 9" rims

anther thing people forget is that most of the engineers that worked for Chrysler also spent time working for ford and vissa versa in the late 50"s threw the early 70"s and there are a lot of simular designs between the two Companies and if i remember right the guy who deigned chryslers 426 Hemi also designed some Ford motors so using mustang style spindles due to the availability and price is a logical choice

We've autocrossed a stock-based system, but never got it fully tuned due to other issues (by the way, it's not a good idea to build a car that handles real good without improving the oiling in corners....especially with a 383). Some day my son might get back to it, but he was routinely quicker than WRX's and other smaller, quick cars. He was slower than his competition in C-prepared, but you'll be that way with a licensed street car vs. a prepped race car (that is both lighter and has more horsepower)...

Properly built Mopar-type leaf springs will handle well due to the short, stiff front section...

We've autocrossed a stock-based system, but never got it fully tuned due to other issues (by the way, it's not a good idea to build a car that handles real good without improving the oiling in corners....especially with a 383).......

That's why Mopar Action's project Bold Beeper made use of a 3 quart Moroso oil accumulator. http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/15-02.jpg

Wylde1.

Hey Wracks71...since you are the factory road racer...can I ask you?

for auto X or whatever it is called (roadracing).... what makes a coilover car any better than a torsion bar car? not a trick question or anything, but looking at your race car I see a wider/lower stance..wide, low profile tires....big brakes...no doubt, big sway bars. All stuff I can do without ANYONES coilover conversion. I have seen many race cars with front torsion bars...keeping the weight spread out and low on the car.

the big improvement for road racing (for me) would be to trash the leaf springs and go to a rear 4-bar set-up w/ locator and sway bar...adjust the bars to get in to plant...plus jack the weight where it fits the track.

my experience with the Mustang II front spindle is while it is a great affordable front steer spindle...it does not have the ackerman that the factory rear steer set up provides...the Mustang II is more of what I would call neutral ackerman...both turn about the same. I would think ackerman would be good for road racing/turning corners....but maybe you are sporting some "trick" race parts and not the over the counter spindles???

and since I don't think it is the secret to the nuclear bomb and you are the only A-body road racer I know... I have another question ....the RMS uses a modified steering arm on the spindle to correct (I assume) bumpsteer and it also appears to be lengthened a tad...does the added lenght slow down the steering and/or affect the turning radius where it is noticeable.

just askin' the expert

sorry for the late reply,been working! number one,there is a big difference between road course and auto-x. i am leaning more toward auto-x because road racing is definetly harder on the car. before we installed the new suspension i could berely out run a standard new vette in an auto-x. i the american streetcar series events i was finishing generally around 29-35th out of about 60 cars,so mid field. after the install,on shot tires,at run to hills last year i finished 12th. that's the difference. no bump steer. nothing goofy even with no rear swaybar,yet. i am now running 275-35-18's on 18x9 wheels front and rear. we will be hitting a bunch of goodguys events this year after i get it back after having a run in with a deer. the whole plan is to run with the DSE,Hotchkis cars,etc and hopefully kick a little but. we will be at the face off at road america also. i wish there were some more mopars out there running with all the brand-x stuff that is dominating.

thanks for the reply and representing our Mopars. Maybe I'll get a chance to see your ride and watch you run sometime.

good luck in the corners,
Denny

Is this not low enough for you? My oil pan sits on the ground when parked.

I don't think you can get any lower than that.....:D

Sure you can, just raise the Driveline in the car and then you can set the frame rails on the ground.

Sure you can raise the Driveline in the car and then you can set the frame rails on the ground.

A lot of bad mouthing magnum force! how about some real world facts from some one that has run one on the street and strip?
handling problems? breakage? alignment?
I have one installed, car not running yet,only see 2 things I might re-inforce later.
come on lets heart it!!---------------------------------------bob:read:

A lot of bad mouthing magnum force! how about some real world facts from some one that has run one on the street and strip?
I have one installed, car not running yet,only see 2 things I might re-inforce later.

HemiMark has one in his Hemi Barracuda....it was in there when he bought it. I drove it and not right for me to comment other than I hope he lets me put one of mine under it......of course, Mark and I are very good friends. (disclaimer)

Sure you can raise the Driveline in the car and then you can set the frame rails on the ground.

LOL...I guess if I wanted to cut up the whole car and have the engine sticking out of the hood I could have gotten it lower.

I guess I should have said I cant get it lower without hacking up my car more. I hacked on it enough and it is what it is.....good enough for me. :D

If I wanted to skip a front K member all together and just get a full chassis....anyone know of anyone that makes one?
I been looking at the Art Morrison catalog, but no mopar applications....
After buying a new front end, doing a 4 link or whatever in the rear, sub frame connectors.....maybe an entire chassis would be more prudent?

HemiMark has one in his Hemi Barracuda....it was in there when he bought it. I drove it and not right for me to comment other than I hope he lets me put one of mine under it......of course, Mark and I are very good friends. (disclaimer)

When should I drop it off? :D

Like Denny said........... Driving straight is great. Driving on the street, turning, backing up, not so hot. I'm not bad mouthing magnum force I'm just saying there set-up is perfect for 1/4 of a mile and the return lane.

-
Back