How successful were you in loosing weight question?

-
After my PSC diagnosis, last year, my hepatologist strongly suggested the Mediterranean diet. Fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, etc... more fish & poultry (little to no red meat). Kick the processed foods (Chips Ahoy, Cheetos, Pepsi) to the curb. I wasn't a big guy 155lbs before diagnosis, now just over 1 year later I'm weighing in around 140lbs. I know 15lbs doesn't sound like much, but think about it in percentages (I now weigh ~90% of what I used to weigh).

dropped 40 pounds like 7 years ago. actually pretty easy. biggest thing was portion control (basically calorie counting) and exercise. all the while i cleaned up the diet too. that part took time. as for exercise it doesn't have to be anything extreme, keep moving. maybe walk daily or something. not sure what kinda shape your joints and all are at 70 so do what you can.

i used the app myfitnesspal to track calories.

After my PSC diagnosis, last year, my hepatologist strongly suggested the Mediterranean diet. Fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, etc... more fish & poultry (little to no red meat). Kick the processed foods (Chips Ahoy, Cheetos, Pepsi) to the curb. I wasn't a big guy 155lbs before diagnosis, now just over 1 year later I'm weighing in around 140lbs. I know 15lbs doesn't sound like much, but think about it in percentages (I now weigh ~90% of what I used to weigh).
I had to look that one up. (PSC)
That's not a good thing to be diagnosed with.
How you doing?
I've got a rare bone marrow, white blood cell, disease, cancer, mutation, (whatever you want to call it)
named JAK-2 after the Scandinavian scientist doctor, that discovered it.
Not curable, but livable with medications that i hafta take for the rest of my life.

The main reason that people put the weight back on is that they go back to the habits that caused them to gain the weight in the first place.
It is a lifestyle change, not just until you lose some weight.

Read up on the Glycemic Index. Lots of weigh gain associated with insulin regulation. All carbs are not created equal. The trick is to pick the right ones that are slow to metabolized (and processed foods are not). That keeps your body in fat burning mode instead of blood sugar burning mode (storing fat). It's very important for avoiding Type 2 diabetes as well.

Protein, fiber, fat and acid are things that slow the carb metabolizing rate, and help regulate insulin spikes. Again, the trick is to find good sources. For example, bacon vs nuts for fat intake would seem like a no brainer, but a lot of carb reduction diets don't care where the fat comes from, and you still see the weight reduction results........But that comes with it's own potential problems.

Good luck

Last edited:
I just have to mention-

It's staring to be understood that that old "food pyramid" is upside down.

Eat more protein than fillers like bread and cereal.

Salad with lots of meat is great, but watch the calories in dressing.

Count carbs as well as calories. Carbs are actually more vital to reduce.

Some of the worst things you can do to your body-

Donuts
Bagels
Thick crust pizza
Pretzels
Onion rings
Chips

Eating anything besides pure protein less than 3 hours before you go to bed.

Well, so far it hasn't been bad at all changing my eating habits, from things that i used to consume.
Now i realize how much of our processed foods are putting the pounds on us human beings.
I used to be a Pepsi drinker, and now i buy flavored water that i like.
Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls are now a no no.
Those Cup of Noodles, and Maruchan Ramen Noodle Soups have got more sodium in them, that's pretty near
the intake for the day that's been recommended for me to shoot for.
So no more of them either.
Chicken, turkey, now instead of a Burger King.
Do more smart grocery shopping now at the Raleys, Bel Aire, Supermarkets from now on.

It's a start.
Just got off the bathroom scale, and lost 5 pounds, since the start of this weight loss regimen.
It's gotta be working, in the better eating department.

Last edited:
I started using the intermittent fasting diet since I never really eat breakfast anyway. I stop eating by 9:30 pm and just have water till 12 noon. Then I eat anything I want in moderation. Grass fed beef a couple times a week, chicken a couple times a week, fish, seafood, usually crackers with peanut butter for lunch, 1/2 glass 2% milk with Ovaltine chocolate malt, southern sweet tea ( 3/4 cup of raw sugar and 3 tea bags per pitcher) after lunch, lightly salted peanuts or pecans for snacks, as much fruit and vegetables as you want. Occasionally I have ice cream, cookies, or pie. I don't eat or drink anything "diet", avoid high fructose corn syrup and processed food. Key is eating food that will satisfy your hunger. If you are O+ you can eat all the meat you want and get thin. Everyone is different and you have to work out what will work for you. I'm 68 and between 175 and 180 lb. I've been here for years. Come summer I will drop into the 160's with the extra activity. Also when I am busy, I eat less. As we grow older I can't burn off enough to stay thin so I consume less calories. You also have some hard conditions, just be careful and bail on anything that seems to affect you mentally or physically.

I started using the intermittent fasting diet since I never really eat breakfast anyway. I stop eating by 9:30 pm and just have water till 12 noon. Then I eat anything I want in moderation. Grass fed beef a couple times a week, chicken a couple times a week, fish, seafood, usually crackers with peanut butter for lunch, 1/2 glass 2% milk with Ovaltine chocolate malt, southern sweet tea ( 3/4 cup of raw sugar and 3 tea bags per pitcher) after lunch, lightly salted peanuts or pecans for snacks, as much fruit and vegetables as you want. Occasionally I have ice cream, cookies, or pie. I don't eat or drink anything "diet", avoid high fructose corn syrup and processed food. Key is eating food that will satisfy your hunger. If you are O+ you can eat all the meat you want and get thin. Everyone is different and you have to work out what will work for you. I'm 68 and between 175 and 180 lb. I've been here for years. Come summer I will drop into the 160's with the extra activity. Also when I am busy, I eat less. As we grow older I can't burn off enough to stay thin so I consume less calories. You also have some hard conditions, just be careful and bail on anything that seems to affect you mentally or physically.
That peanut butter reminds me...my wife picked up a lump of gouda the other day, so a few times this week I found myself on the couch with that lump of cheese and a jar of peanut butter

Cut of a slice, swipe it through the jar of peanut butter and into my mouth

Man that was good
(But it has to be real cheese, not that plastic stuff craft makes)

I'll add this too, Jim. Kitty and I now buy uncured meats almost exclusively. No nitrites and nitrates added. That's a big step forward. Everyone hollers about how bad bacon is for you. It's not the bacon. It's all the chemicals it's cured with. We also exclusively use extra virgin olive oil to cook everything that gets cooked in the frying pan or on the outdoor skillet. We also use keto friendly bread. Arnold's is the brand. Unbelievably, it tastes good. We read labels looking for low carb and low sugar content. As mentioned though, there ARE good carbs....taters ans such. Most anything natural is a good source of carbs. People who cut carbs out are on the wrong path, since that's what our bodies use for energy.

Read up on the Glycemic Index. Lots of weigh gain associated with insulin regulation. All carbs are not created equal. The trick is to pick the right ones that are slow to metabolized (and processed foods are not). That keeps your body in fat burning mode instead of blood sugar burning mode (storing fat). It's very important for avoiding Type 2 diabetes as well.

Protein, fiber, fat and acid are things that slow the carb metabolizing rate, and help regulate insulin spikes. Again, the trick is to find good sources. For example, bacon vs nuts for fat intake would seem like a no brainer, but a lot of carb reduction diets don't care where the fat comes from, and you still see the weight reduction results........But that comes with it's own potential problems.

Good luck
Another option is the slow carb diet. I used it with success years ago. Look up 4 Hour Work Week slow carb diet.

That peanut butter reminds me...my wife picked up a lump of gouda the other day, so a few times this week I found myself on the couch with that lump of cheese and a jar of peanut butter

Cut of a slice, swipe it through the jar of peanut butter and into my mouth

Man that was good
(But it has to be real cheese, not that plastic stuff craft makes)

I limit what I'm going to eat in a bowl or plate and stick to it. For lunch, it is usually 8 saltine crackers, peanut butter, fruit and 1/2 glass of 2% milk with the Ovaltine.

Last edited:
I also have breakfast on Sundays. It seems to work well without undue hunger or craving what you like.

Remember that it's not what you eat some of the time, it's what you eat most of the time. Once you get the balance right, indulging once in a while won't hurt you.

"Breakfast foods" are actually some of the best low carb, high protein foods you can eat.
(maybe not syrup and breads)

Eating breakfast also gives you energy for the day, and a long time period to work off the calories/carbs.

Eating late before bed signals your body to store as fat because you are not doing anything to use the potential energy.

Simple things like standing vs sitting also help. Your body burns calories just standing.
Sitting causes that function to shut down.

Puttering around the shop...maybe cleaning= burning calories.

"Breakfast foods" are actually some of the best low carb, high protein foods you can eat.
(maybe not syrup and breads)

Eating breakfast also gives you energy for the day, and a long time period to work off the calories/carbs.

Eating late before bed signals your body to store as fat because you are not doing anything to use the potential energy.

Simple things like standing vs sitting also help. Your body burns calories just standing.
Sitting causes that function to shut down.

Puttering around the shop...maybe cleaning= burning calories.
I've been eating the same balanced breakfast most of my adult life. Large flake oatmeal (definitely NOT flavoured minute oats) with flaxmeal, blueberries (to sweeten it up), and a probiotic, cottage cheese with almonds added for protein and good fat, and a piece of fruit. This is super easy to prepare, and keeps you going until lunch.............NO juice!

Sure is tougher for me, at 74, I'll be 75 in early June if I live that long. I'm simply not as active, nor am I able to be so. I have several recurring/ chronic health problems, not the least of which is chronic lower back issues. I simply cannot walk very well or very far, nor be on my feet very long. And that right there is "it."

When I did the Ram/ Cummins conversion, I would get out as early as I could, and work depending on How I felt, maybe 1 -2 hours, take a break for 1/2-1 hour, then hit it again until lunch. THAT often turned into lunch + a nap, so 1-2 hours, then a 1-1 1/2 hour shift, a break, and maybe another hour.

And that of course is between rain, extreme heat, rain, snow, extreme cold, wind, etc etc

When I find the guy that coined the term "golden years", I'm just gonna kill 'em

I had to look that one up. (PSC)
That's not a good thing to be diagnosed with.
How you doing?
I've got a rare bone marrow, white blood cell, disease, cancer, mutation, (whatever you want to call it)
named JAK-2 after the Scandinavian scientist doctor, that discovered it.
Not curable, but livable with medications that i hafta take for the rest of my life.

Of course Dr. Google paints a pretty horrific picture.

In the last year+ I've been through a $hitload of testing to get "baseline" data. I see my hepatologist every 6 months to discuss all the latest results. Since there are very few of us PSCers (and every one of us has unique symptoms), he believes I'm in the early stages of this. So, the battery of testing will continue to keep collecting data. Unfortunately, there is no cure (even a liver transplant does not guarantee PSC won't return). Currently my symptoms are mild, so I'm going to do what I can, when I can, while I can.

PSC (FU Shirt).jpg

Of course Dr. Google paints a pretty horrific picture.

In the last year+ I've been through a $hitload of testing to get "baseline" data. I see my hepatologist every 6 months to discuss all the latest results. Since there are very few of us PSCers (and every one of us has unique symptoms), he believes I'm in the early stages of this. So, the battery of testing will continue to keep collecting data. Unfortunately, there is no cure (even a liver transplant does not guarantee PSC won't return). Currently my symptoms are mild, so I'm going to do what I can, when I can, while I can.

View attachment 1716078286
Ya, i too get called in every 6 months to see the Hematologist-Oncologist doc, to have a face to face with him, in person, follow up appointment.
The blood suckers, vampires, phlebotomist, at the VA suck blood out of me every 3 months for analysis, to see if anything's changed.
So far, i'm told to lead a happy, normal life, for old age.

Last edited:
I've been getting blood draws once a week, since I was septic in August [many more when I was dying and after]. It's interesting to see the varying results. I hope this is my last week, and my infectious disease DR cuts me loose this coming week.

Ya, i too get called in every 6 months to see the Hematologist-Oncologist doc, to have a face to face with him, in person, follow up appointment.
The blood suckers, vampires, phlebotomist, at the VA suck blood out of me every 3 months for analysis, to see if anything's changed.
So far, i'm told to lead a happy, normal life, for old age.

My liver bloodwork happens every 12 weeks (through Beaumont). I went yesterday morning for my annual physical's blood draw (through Acension). Apparently it was "amateur hour" at the lab I visited

IMG_9313.jpeg

It would be nice if the 2 different health systems would/could communicate with each other.

Went in to see the dietitian at the Mather VA last week in regards to loosing some weight off this old mans body.
The goal is 30 pounds, down to 200, by the end of the year.
That's a figure that's pretty much do able, i guess, as this 70 year old will be changing his eating habits.
Any of you guys out there in the membership land, loose weight, and how successful were you at doing it?
Any tips to follow, you can pass along?
Thank's.
Jim V.
hemi71x
I had a health scare this summer. Weight wasn't the issue, but wasn't helping. The doc put me on a couple meds (phentermine/topirimate), plus I did the diet and exercise thing. Down from 217 to 165 since August. Fifty-three going on 25 the way I'm running these days. Now I just need to survive the thing that got me trying to not die...

-
Back