Might go buy a new Challenger tomorrow

-
Just don’t forget your roots! Was in Mobile last year and those challenger guys did not want me to park next to them! Sad that was!
Your right, I try to keep the young generation informed of the new challenger's roots around my area!

IMG_20181210_104155.jpg

I would consider a SRT but not a hellcat for me I want to drive the thing and not be worried about miles and scratches, just for my needs anyway, the last SRT wouldn't out run my 64 anyway.
I found a Hellcat Charger with 2600 miles on it for $1k more than the new SRT392 I was looking at...love my kitty!

Just don’t forget your roots! Was in Mobile last year and those challenger guys did not want me to park next to them! Sad that was!

i dont blame em
look at those pics @mopar74 posted
there is a really cool yellow challenger in there, and then what looks like just its shadow, turns out to be a second car
no one ever looks at their shadow

I had a R/T and a 6 they are both great cars. The new 8 speed auto is great. I just couldn't handle not having a truck.

I have a 2015 R/T auto 8 speed.

22-23 mpg on easy So Cal outer suburb hwy miles 70-80 mph if you are mindful and don’t stomp on it. This is fill-up to fill-up average. Sure at times on highway it get way better intananous mpg. Heck downhill I get 99 mpg... Key is maintaining throttle position and getting it to go into 4 cyl mode.

You start making shirt trips stoplight to stoplight the mileage will go down fast.

The freeways around chino seem to have a little more traffic than here in Ventura county. I start my commute at 5:30-6:00 am so that really helps with traffic too. I do have to 2 hills/mountains I go over; one steep, one mild.

I rented a 392 Scat Pac from Budget. Badass. Go rent one for a week and see what you think

Having owned a ‘14 w/a v6, I tell you it wasn’t to bad at all. The Hemi option is what you should really end up with if it is the fun factor your looking to have. The V6 was a little slow out of the gate but good once at speed.

I did get the “Rated EPA mileage” they listed (18/27 & a hair more on the hwy at times) until I decided otherwise with spirted driving. Keep in my mind that my ‘14 is only a 5spd auto and the one your looking at is an 8 speed auto with more power in the engine.

Overall I liked the car a lot. I didn’t have a lot of tech in the car. It I like it that way.
(SXT Plus)

Handling was good though I didn’t like the feel close to steering lock. The wheels felt funny in a tight turn. Turning off the traction I tell aid added the enjoyment level. All the good things technology has to offer was good. It drove well and road very nice & stable up to 115 mph, as fast as I had it on this crowded island.

4DC9443C-56EE-47B1-8456-F1267D9F0ADC.jpeg

Brand new probably. ....just need better milage than my full size truck....V8 or maybe even a V6..... I'm driving 25 miles each way to work now. ....the gas in the truck is killing me...plus I just want a Challenger!

I figure they're not A-Bodies.....what is the body designation?
What do you guys think about the new Challengers?

Jeff

Last edited:
I have a 2009 Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi 6 speed manual. Love it. 28 mpg highway at 75 mph 375 hp. My wife has a 2018 Charger R/T 5.7 Hemi auto 8 speed, 30 mpg highway. Gave a 2012 Charger R/T to my son in law 80K ran like new 30 + mpg, original brakes. All great cars, solid and quiet highway cruisers.

I absolutely love mine.....bought it new....2018 T/A 392 8-speed. We recently took it on a 12 day 5,300 mile road trip down Route 66 then up the costal hwy 1 in CA and it was such a nice car to drive, not once were we ever tired of driving it or bored with it. I never even sat in a newer style Challenger till I looked at this one, always wanted one and they are sexy as ever....this is an awesome car!!!

Sorry for all the pics lol

View attachment 1715353478

View attachment 1715353479

View attachment 1715353483

View attachment 1715353485

View attachment 1715353486

View attachment 1715353490

I have the exact same car and it is just plain awesome. If you can swing the 392 (T/A or Scat Pack) you will not regret that decision. The small difference between that and the Hellcat is just not worth the price difference unless you find a used one. The 8 speed automatic is perfect, plus you have paddle shifts or you can use the shifter itself. I just drove my T/A on the Hot Rod Power Tour and it averaged 24 mpg for the whole trip. I say that's not bad for a car that makes close to 500 hp and has every possible option on it.

IMG_2484.JPG

Get a bitter Honda.... You know Gas prices are gong up another .06 per gallon on July 1.... It will be the highest priced fuel in the nation.... Crooks.... Just Crooks....
Now that thats out of the way... Get the big Motored Challenger.... And I;m sure you know how I feel about Challenges..... :)

The Challengers are fun cars to drive; built like a tank yet Chrysler did a good job of masking it. I put over 400 miles on a Hellcat over 3 days, averaged 5.1 mpg and loved every minute of it.

6 cents a gallon, up here it just went up 10 cents a liter. I have seen 12 cent swings in 12 hours...ridiculous.
25 miles one way Jeff? I cant see much savings in that short of ride, unless you ride your bicycle? :lol:

6 cents a gallon, up here it just went up 10 cents a liter. I have seen 12 cent swings in 12 hours...ridiculous.
25 miles one way Jeff? I cant see much savings in that short of ride, unless you ride your bicycle? :lol:
50 miles per day in a truck getting 10 mpg is 110 gals per month. At $3.50/gal that’s $385 per month. Get a car averaging 20 mpg and you save $192 every month. I would call saving $2300 a year in fuel costs pretty substantial.

50 miles per day in a truck getting 10 mpg is 110 gals per month. At $3.50/gal that’s $385 per month. Get a car averaging 20 mpg and you save $192 every month. I would call saving $2300 a year in fuel costs pretty substantial.

did you get an insurance quote to go with those numbers?

Insurance is higher with my Challenger, also tabs are spendy....some things to consider. Also, I have a problem with my rear tires....they only lasted 2,800 miles, must be a warranty issue??? :D

$2300 in fuel saving ain't much when compared to possible increased payments and insurance and cost of ownership. Not sure current mpg vs new mpg.

I have a 2015 R/T auto 8 speed.

22-23 mpg on easy So Cal outer suburb hwy miles 70-80 mph if you are mindful and don’t stomp on it. This is fill-up to fill-up average. Sure at times on highway it get way better intananous mpg. Heck downhill I get 99 mpg... Key is maintaining throttle position and getting it to go into 4 cyl mode.

You start making shirt trips stoplight to stoplight the mileage will go down fast.

The freeways around chino seem to have a little more traffic than here in Ventura county. I start my commute at 5:30-6:00 am so that really helps with traffic too. I do have to 2 hills/mountains I go over; one steep, one mild.

So Cal roads are kinda lumpy. There is nothing flat around here unless you're between Paso and San Francisco or going through the San Joaqiun Valley.

It's not about the miles per gallon it's about the smiles per gallon! :D

Im old & have been their done that. Never buy a new car. JMHO. These are just words of advice & to each their own but $50,000 plus for a new car/truck plus interest that will be worth $35,000 plus as soon as ya leave dealer lot then much less as time goes on.?
Actual investments & frugality bring me smiles per mile.

i dont blame em
look at those pics @mopar74 posted
there is a really cool yellow challenger in there, and then what looks like just its shadow, turns out to be a second car
no one ever looks at their shadow

Bad Mopar manners IMO. To each his own, love the old and new! Ended up parking between 2 late model Challengers, RT and SRT and both thanked us for being there. In “their” words they would not have got any looks without us being there!

I going to the dealer to check things out in a couple of hours .....

Jeff

I would and not be concerned! If you have the cash and can afford then do it. My fully loaded 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins is the pride of my fleet!

-
Back