MRL 318 Stroker Build

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. I have not been on here in a little while, been STUPID busy! And that's a good thing. Been working all day and teaching 3 nights a week this winter, makes for some long but very fulfilling days.

Anyhow, I thought I would post a 318 stroker build I just got done with a little bit back. It was a sad story to begin with, but we made it all better. It started out as a "home" built 318. No problem with that, we have all been there. But after stick multiple valves from multiple heads(RHS and EQ Magnum) from the same shop, he had had enough. Tore it down, brought it to use and we found the issues. Many in fact. Now everything is fixed, and we even went stroker on it. Now its a 396ci 318. Now for the guts and what not:

318 block 3.970" bore
SCAT crank and rods
Icon pistons
Total Seal rings
Reworked EQ Magnum heads, new guides and valves MILD porting
Old School Holley Strip Dom
Holley 750 carb
Comp roller rockers
Rocker studs converted to 7/16-3/8 from 5/16-3/8
MRL custom HR cam setup
Converted from 318 to 340 main caps(.250 taller)
All the old parts from previous build

We had talked about power and what it was to be used for, plus we had a very tight budget to work with. We spent the time and money where it needed to be spent, Heads and Machine work. Here are the results

Torque was quite good, even down low for a single plan intake. It hit 460TQ at 3000rpm. Peak was 495TQ at 4600rpm. Still holding onto 450+TQ at peak power.

HP was nice as well. It peaked at 490HP at 5700rpm, and held it well, not dropping off like a rock.

All in all for a mild build it made good power and was pretty square on bore/stroke and HP/TQ.

Attachments

• Zinser 3900001.pdf
    839.1 KB · Views: 417
Another great teen build Mike. Great numbers! Wish I was closer for a 273 project. Tmm

Nice !

I haven't installed that 408 yet Mike. I can't wait to see what its like in my lil 71 Swinger. The car is getting the body and paint redone right now so the stroker should be going into the car by spring.

,George

ball park price on what that cost? you guy's are on my very short list for when I get a motor built.

thanks

This was a re-build not a build from scratch. But if you would like a quote just shoot me an email or give me a call and will go over all the details of what you want.

Wow, pushin' 500 HP from a small block is a "mild build" in your world...

:burnout::supz:

awesome build!!!

Wow, pushin' 500 HP from a small block is a "mild build" in your world...

:burnout::supz:

it seems to me everyone has a 500 horse power something. in this day and age, i think 500 hp is the new 300 hp..

Would have been interesting to see an RPM air gap manifold on this engine.
Also things are getting better when you can use the term "custom HR" and "budget " in the same build :)

Would have been interesting to see an RPM air gap manifold on this engine.
Also things are getting better when you can use the term "custom HR" and "budget " in the same build :)

it would have bumped the torque up under peak, but peak would have stayed the same and at the same rpm. we needed to soften the low end torque for his application.

custom grind on the cam is the same price as off the shelf.

Looking at the dyno sheet can anyone educate me on the difference between the AF (AF) and 02 (AF) readings?

Which Icon pistons did it have? The 12 to 1s or the 10 to 1s?

Wow, those are some tasty numbers.

And to think I'd be happy with the old, magic 1hp/CI number out of a SBM.

Love the build specs, but what were the problems? Would probably help the home builder to know the pitfalls of what to look out for, what to check after the machinist is done etc. were all the problems with the heads? Thanks Mike.

Well you are certainly making a case for me to have my engine built by you in the future. GoldDuster318 is my friend and he's still smiling from his 340 you built and he's not terribly easy to impress.

I'm looking for a 318 or 340 that will be a high revving build for autocross and track day events. I just can't bring myself to do 360 in my Demon.

This build looks great.

Andy,

As a home builder, the very first problem is having a good & qualified machinist understanding that YOu want to put it togther. There is also a understanding between my guy and myself that if there is a problem that happens, I'll bring everything to him.
(Then he'll tell me I told ha so! LOL!)

The second thing is understanding everything when it is going togther. As a hobbyist, understanding what you see and what can be missed and why or how is the biggest next step. I have not had any issues so far. From General rebuild to 11 second mills, so far, so good.
I also keep it simple. Reject anything outside a easy fix. If I end up with an odd set of deck heights, I'll just have the machinist do the whole short block and then see where we stand when I bring in a set of heads and a intake.

Sometimes this stuff gets a bit screwy. This is where a guys like Mike accel and become worth more than you pay for when the engine is done right and results like this take place.

Looking at the dyno sheet can anyone educate me on the difference between the AF (AF) and 02 (AF) readings?

the AF is measured air and measured fuel. the O2 is the sensor in the exhaust. I tend to run them leaner on the dyno because they typically. richen when in the car.

MRL nice to see someone post results for 318-390 stroker build. I am in the process of similair build.
69 318 block with hughes main girdle
mopar 4.00 stroke cast crank
scat I beam rods
Diamond flat top pistons
crower solid lift cam 545in 558ex
eddy 63cc heads 2.02 and 1.60
air gap intake
750 holley
i have thought about HR cam not sure about them in older non roller block.

Very nice. I am curious what idle charateristics are like. Looks like low end tq is more than enough to overcome needing a radical hi stall converter.

With good 360 blocks becoming hard to find, we're starting to see a few 318 strokers being built down under. It's good to see them this sort of power.

-
Back