The all new "It's time to get out and get fit" thread

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Hey everyone. As a lot of you know, I recently had a back injury and required surgery. This whole event has really woke me up to getting into shape. I have decided that starting on Monday, Aug. 12 I am completely changing my life style and habits. I have already been working on eating better and working out, but that is my official start. Those that have met me, or seen pictures of me know that I am a large guy. I am 6'5 and tip the scales at 380lbs. My goal is, by my 32nd birthday, April 27 2015, to weigh in at between 200-215lbs... To celebrate the accomplishment, I will be going sky diving. :) I have started coming up with some rewards as I hit certain marks just so I have little extras to look forward to. Now here's what I am proposing, it's always easier to workout and to accomplish huge tasks if there is a group. I am wondering if there is anyone else on here that would like to do this with me. I also know it will be benificial to have a support group. It's isn't going to cost you any money to be a part of this, other than your own food and what not, it's just for extra motivation and support. Anyway, anyone that is interested, either post here or IM me, lets get healthy together!!!!

Just so you can get an idea of me now;
2F8A84CC-AB23-4953-B1AB-A4FA2E55662D-3415-00000226E61F3E45_zps748c7080.jpg

Ill join in. Though I am at keep it maintained. Though never a big guy. I am 5' 8" tall. I get over 210 and I feel like hell. I started wslking everynight for at leadt an hour. South Beach diet is also a good start. It is a cardiovascular/diabetic diet. The book tells you why not just do. It gets hard to stay on course.

I wish you all the best and wiil be checking in.

Currently 200#.

Ill join in. Though I am at keep it maintained. Though never a big guy. I am 5' 8" tall. I get over 210 and I feel like hell. I started wslking everynight for at leadt an hour. South Beach diet is also a good start. It is a cardiovascular/diabetic diet. The book tells you why not just do. It gets hard to stay on course.

I wish you all the best and wiil be checking in.

Currently 200#.

Sounds like me. I'm 5' 8"-ish and hover around 200#. Been like this since I was sixteen.

Believe it or not, the doc has me as "anorexic" in my charts. One of my problems is a lot of times I'll eat only one meal a day. I try to break for lunch, but I get so busy around the house sometimes I just keep pushing through until the project's done. Breakfast? Never had a taste for it.

The doc wants me on low carb (not "no" carb) and high protein, eat three squares a day, and control my portion size. More fruits and veggies. Lay off the processed stuff.

Got my support, Jeremy. Taking control and making changes is the hardest thing to do.

good for you man. once you start losing you will get addicted to it and want to do more. wait till you are more active because of the weight loss. you will be amazed at how you feel..

early last year (at 44 years old) i finally got disgusted. i'm 5'11" tall and was up to 210 pounds. worse then that was just taking the dogs out to their pen made me out of breath. it sucked. plus i have a 4 year old lil girl that i want to be around for to see grow up. the dr. wanted to put me on cholesterol medicine. no way was i putting that poison in my body..

started working out (boot class type of class). got me into shape cardio wise but i was still eating like ****. lost 15 pounds then gained 10 pounds back.. the thing i learned is that you CAN NOT out work a poor diet. it really is that simple...

so what i did was go see a nutritionist. best move i ever made. i was lucky and my insurance covers my visits 100% as long as its written up as preventive. she put me on a calorie count.

here what i learned...

balance is the key. do not cut out food groups (unless ofcourse there is a medical reason to do so)

keep a food journal. this is very important. keep track of calories you take in. i use www.myfitnesspal.com it synce with my home computer,smart phone and tablet. you can also access it from any computer. real easy to use..

portion control is the secret. i lost 40 pounds eating the same garbage i had been eating to get fat. just cut the portions basically in half. since then my nutritionist has slowly changed my diet to healthier foods.

do not skip meals. infact you actually eat more often. you'll want to eat almost every 3 hours.. breakfast then a little snack, then lunch then a little snack, dinner then maybe a little snack before bed some time.. never eat till you are stuffed feeling. you will eat and feel satisfied not stuffed.

another thing i have learned is to find lower calorie replacements for foods i like.. this way i can eat more and intake the same calorie count. for example. i love peanut butter. well 2 tbsp of peanut butter is 200 calories. there is this powdered peanut butter called PB2. taste just like normal peanut butter. you mix it with water to a consistently that you like. its only 45 calories for the same 2 tbsp. thats a savings of 155 calories and i ate just as much. that 155 calories can now be used elsewhere. i also went from regular milk to an almond milk. 8oz of lowfat 1% milk is 100 calories. the unsweetened almond milk is only 30 calories for that same 8oz. there are tons of ways to eat and save calories. just takes some work to figure out what works for you..

so i went from 210 down to 175 pounds and have held that weight for a year now. i'm in a 31" waist jeans now. hell i wore a 32 in high school..lol.. cholesterol went from 270ish down to 200 and triglycerides went from 158 down to 85ish. the dr was even impressed and asked for my nutritionists number so she could recommend her to some patients.. i feel like a kid again. out on my bicycle again, we did a bunch of hiking while on vacation last week. i can run around with the dogs and daughter now. it feels great. you will not regret it man...

if you can swing it go see a nutritionist. a good one will make it easy for you..

I dont know if I can commit. @5;9 and 300 i,m past hope.

its all in your mind man.. anyone can do it... my partner at work is 5'9 and was up to 350 for a while. he has lost 70 pounds using portion control and very little exercise. myfitnesspal did the trick for him..

basically you have to be disgusted with yourself before you will do anything about it.. after that its a mind game is all. put your mind to it and you can do just about anything/...

Joe thanks for the info-- I'm in this boat also -- will be 50 in November.
6'2" @ 254 in May 254 pounds-- blood pressure in the marginal zone, doc said if I didn't want to keep visiting-- then lose some weight..

Right not lost the exercise focus-- recovering from hernia surgery, but starting to feel normal now 2 weeks in.

I'm adding this as a personal reminder .
Lawrence

Daredevil, I have 80lbs on you and I am going to do this. It is going to take commitment and dedication, but you can do it.

Joe, thanks for the info. I am going to try juicing for a while and see how that works. If I don't like it, I'll do something else. But one of the main things I am doing is spending at least an hour a day working out. I will be starting out slower because of my back, but as soon as the doctor says I can start lifting weights and getting even more active, I will.

The rest of you, thanks for the support and let's get fit!!! Could be the best thing you've ever done!!! I feel better already and haven't even officially started. I did go about three miles yesterday and for supper had steamed veggies and two hard boiled eggs. It was actually pretty good.

Count me in... 6' 8' and 440 lbs. I have been walking two miles a day and not eating junk food. So far my shape is changing, and my blood pressure is back to normal.

Count me in as well, 6'4 and 350, going to do portion control and start waking. This can be nothing but a good thing, appreciate you sharing.

I dont know if I can commit. @5;9 and 300 i,m past hope.
I gotta say- no one is past hope. We have to decide what our motivation is to shed pounds - for me it is to be able to continue to provide for family and friends- and to be around for my Grand kiddies...
I am an old guy- 65 started riding my bicycle 3 years ago. I am almost 6' tall- weighed 263 when I started. Started slowly- worked up to 6 miles. My weight is in the 235-240 range now and ride 20-25 miles every chance I get. Have ridden almost 1600 miles so far this year- ride a hybrid bike- sit upright has front shocks- comfortable seat.
Find a safe place to ride- back roads, bike paths- rails to trails are great- gotta keep moving- use it or loase

I'm in.64 years old,5' 7" 242 lbs right now.Six months ago I was told I needed to lose weight before they would replace my wasted right knee.At that time I was 265 and got down to 238 so I've done well mostly with portion control and backing off on the diet Mt Dew.Got the knee 8 weeks ago and now I see the few lbs coming back the incentive of others working on it also will get me back on track.

I am glad that there are others wanting to work on this too. It makes me happy. Does anyone want to post before pictures, then as we all go, post new pictures? I may have found someone locally to be a workout buddy, so I know that will help too. I am so excited about doing this. I need the change. I want the change. I am going to make the change!!!

Sounds like me. I'm 5' 8"-ish and hover around 200#. Been like this since I was sixteen.

Believe it or not, the doc has me as "anorexic" in my charts. One of my problems is a lot of times I'll eat only one meal a day. I try to break for lunch, but I get so busy around the house sometimes I just keep pushing through until the project's done. Breakfast? Never had a taste for it.

The doc wants me on low carb (not "no" carb) and high protein, eat three squares a day, and control my portion size. More fruits and veggies. Lay off the processed stuff.

Got my support, Jeremy. Taking control and making changes is the hardest thing to do.

I hear ya on the breakfast thing. Never been my deal. Well, ok, pancakes for dinner sometimes, but my grandparents are VERY German. You have to make the effort to do the "3 squares". Sucks, but it helps and once you get in the rhythm, it's not too bad. Hell, for over thirty years I've been the coffee and cigarette wake-up guy.

For portion control, get rid of the big dinner plates and buy a bunch of 9" plates. You can't load as much on them and you still think you're getting a full plate. (Stupid, but works).

Joe, thanks for the info. I am going to try juicing for a while and see how that works. If I don't like it, I'll do something else. But one of the main things I am doing is spending at least an hour a day working out. I will be starting out slower because of my back, but as soon as the doctor says I can start lifting weights and getting even more active, I will.

yea don't kill yourself at the gym right away. take it slow and get into it. people think you have to go nuts there. thats just not true. as you get in better shape you'll naturally be able to do more. listen to your body.

Joe thanks for the info-- I'm in this boat also -- will be 50 in November.
6'2" @ 254 in May 254 pounds-- blood pressure in the marginal zone, doc said if I didn't want to keep visiting-- then lose some weight..

Right not lost the exercise focus-- recovering from hernia surgery, but starting to feel normal now 2 weeks in.

I'm adding this as a personal reminder .
Lawrence

yea my blood pressure was up there too when i was 210 pounds. that came back down to the perfect range.

a friend went through the same thing. lost a bunch of weight, was into going to the gym then had to get hernia surgery. side lined him for a while. he said once allowed to work out again the first couple weeks were killer but he got back into it and is fine now..

Nothing better to complete the day than a nice workout, then a 1.5 mile power walk in 84* weather. I feel so good. :)

i jump in. i was pushing 240 and rusty liked to point that out. so after about a year i lost 50 lbs!

Hey everyone. As a lot of you know, I recently had a back injury and required surgery. This whole event has really woke me up to getting into shape. I have decided that starting on Monday, Aug. 12 I am completely changing my life style and habits. I have already been working on eating better and working out, but that is my official start. Those that have met me, or seen pictures of me know that I am a large guy. I am 6'5 and tip the scales at 380lbs. My goal is, by my 32nd birthday, April 27 2015, to weigh in at between 200-215lbs... To celebrate the accomplishment, I will be going sky diving. :) I have started coming up with some rewards as I hit certain marks just so I have little extras to look forward to. Now here's what I am proposing, it's always easier to workout and to accomplish huge tasks if there is a group. I am wondering if there is anyone else on here that would like to do this with me. I also know it will be benificial to have a support group. It's isn't going to cost you any money to be a part of this, other than your own food and what not, it's just for extra motivation and support. Anyway, anyone that is interested, either post here or IM me, lets get healthy together!!!!

Just so you can get an idea of me now;

That's an excellent idea! I began drinking water instead of soda and tea and went from a 34" being tight to my 32" pants being loose! :D

That's an excellent idea! I began drinking water instead of soda and tea and went from a 34" being tight to my 32" pants being loose! :D

I currently weigh in about 168 when my norm is 175-180 at 5'9"

Damn. I hit quote instead I'd edit :banghead:

I tend to go up and down about 20lbs...I'm right about 5' 11" and weigh about 210 right now....I'll be 57 in October. Don't take any meds...just had a check up and everything was good. Maybe good genes help... I need to keep it under 200.

I have all my workout stuff at home. I really like the Health Rider...it's a good overall work out. Course do some crunches...to try and get rid of those 12pack abs. I also have a multi-station weight machine..I actually like pumping weights..curls for my girl. :) I also do the tread mill. I work out every other day about 45 minutes.

I mainly do a south beach type of diet..try to cut out carbs is the way I find for me to lose weight. I can happily say that I'm probably better shape than a lot of younger people I know. You have to commit to the work out thang. You will fill better because of it. If you smoke quit! If you drank too much slow down. Excess in anything can be harmful. What you do as a younger person can effect you later on in life. Good or bad...good is better...:)

I wish you all the best...every ten pounds you lose will be better on all your body parts especially your knees...they weren't designed for the extra weight.

Okay now it's time for me to lose some weight too.

Good luck.

oh yeah and a good attitude goes a long way in life....you choose whether you are going to have a good day or not. Even if life throws crap your way just hold your head up and keep going with a big smile. :)

-
Back