What is the "perfect" street/strip package......for the average Moparian

-
My bad. Mistype or an autocorrect. Notice the two "the"

It's nothing to do with the stroke. It's the maintaining the tune with the HP/cu in. And rest of the car thought out and part purchased, installed properly to put the 550-600hp to ground and actually use it.

You’re missing my point, there is no more work maintaining the tune than on a well built 318. My Dart has ran 6.25 @ 110 in the 1/8 and 10.008 @ 134.74 in the 1/4 on pump 93. It never runs over 180 even when hot lapped at the drag strip. I build all my engines and they are built to drive.

IHMO, a 550 to 600HP isn't going to be that street friendly low maintenance out of 4" stroke SB motor.

4.10 gears with 275/60/15 isn't very freeway friendly either to drive it to the track either.

Seems like a car that CAN be driven on the street, but spends most of the time in the garage or on a trailer to the track. Cars that pop up at a local cruise in 3-4 times a year only within 10 street miles from the owners home. But you hear from owners telling you about their killer ride... that's at home.

frankly, kinda agree with the OP regards street/ strip car.
I have a nice car I don’t want to mess up getting stranded with it. Sure wouldn’t want to leave it.
If I have a flat on the rear I am screwed, really, same on the front. I don’t carry a spare. Don’t carry a Floor Jack in the car either
I don’t want to get any further away from where I keep the car than what a reasonable tow truck bill would be if something like a flat( or other) happens.
Hardly anything on my car is available at a parts store if something happens. Most aren’t going to have an electric fuel pump like mine, a spark box like mine, Yada, Yada. Later at night, even they are closed.
I weigh the risk reward every time I street drive, even more than at the track.
Deer, unseen pot hole, nail, idiot not paying attention, rain popping up out of nowhere……. You name it. I have a feeling lots of people don’t consider some of these things much

frankly, kinda agree with the OP regards street/ strip car.
I have a nice car I don’t want to mess up getting stranded with it. Sure wouldn’t want to leave it.
If I have a flat on the rear I am screwed, really, same on the front. I don’t carry a spare. Don’t carry a Floor Jack in the car either
I don’t want to get any further away from where I keep the car than what a reasonable tow truck bill would be if something like a flat( or other) happens.
Hardly anything on my car is available at a parts store if something happens. Most aren’t going to have an electric fuel pump like mine, a spark box like mine, Yada, Yada. Later at night, even they are closed.
I weigh the risk reward every time I street drive, even more than at the track.
Deer, unseen pot hole, nail, idiot not paying attention, rain popping up out of nowhere……. You name it. I have a feeling lots of people don’t consider some of these things much
Thanks.....you made some good valid points.......actually happened to me the other night I was picking up a pizza and decided to take the 71 Demon so here I am buzzing down the highway and boom the car shuts right off, I'm like ewwww, so I coast it into a parking lot off the highway and I can tell it's no spark so I call a parts store to see if they have an ignition box and nope we sure don't so then called a friend to see if he was in the area and he wasn't so now it's been 15 minutes so I try to restart it and it fires right up and grabbed the pizza and made it back home and ordered up a FABO setup the next day and will keep the other one in the glove box for a spare I guess......but your right you can't get even a simple part.

I for one do think about those things. Currently on a 2000+ mile road trip and wishing I could do it in my Duster rather than the family car. Would there be risks? Certainly. But in the end it’s still just a car. And why not enjoy it for as much as possible rather than just 50 miles at a time a couple of times a week?

Also, I find it somewhat ironic to see the distain for “gov't built cars” when the drivetrain from several of those can easily exceed the stated hp goal with zero maintained or tune ups beyond an oil change. Add the 6M and get significantly better mileage too. Just seems like the best of both worlds. Maybe not for everyone, but not without merits of it’s own.

I for one do think about those things. Currently on a 2000+ mile road trip and wishing I could do it in my Duster rather than the family car. Would there be risks? Certainly. But in the end it’s still just a car. And why not enjoy it for as much as possible rather than just 50 miles at a time a couple of times a week?

Also, I find it somewhat ironic to see the distain for “gov't built cars” when the drivetrain from several of those can easily exceed the stated hp goal with zero maintained or tune ups beyond an oil change. Add the 6M and get significantly better mileage too. Just seems like the best of both worlds. Maybe not for everyone, but not without merits of it’s own.
No comment

i, for one, enjoy my daily driver too. It has air, gets 30+ miles per gallon, is comfortable, has airbags, is safer than a 50+ year old car.
My street strip car is reserved for non rainy non super hot summer time driving, and as a drag car at the track.
Each to his own. I enjoy my Dart a lot, I just have other alternatives I enjoy too.

i, for one, enjoy my daily driver too. It has air, gets 30+ miles per gallon, is comfortable, has airbags, is safer than a 50+ year old car.
My street strip car is reserved for non rainy non super hot summer time driving, and as a drag car at the track.
Each to his own. I enjoy my Dart a lot, I just have other alternatives I enjoy too.
Daily drivers are obviously necessary, and yes mine has A/C in it too but I don't want it in my hot rods and yes the modern cars are safer but I think deeper into the whole aspect with modern technology/government/modern cars deeper than most and can foresee and know what their end game is all about.

The whole analogy was said in the first place because it was stated by another member how difficult it would be to tune and drive a 550-600hp car around and I said if they aren't capable and or willing to learn how then just buy a gov't built everything has been done for you POS.

I can appreciate that. To each his own.

My problem is that I am too narrow of a focus guy. Due to a recent change in jobs, I could afford a Scat Pack WB but I am pretty sure my Duster would just sit other than maybe taking it to a car show once in awhile. So I decided to drop the idea and keep focusing on the Duster.

The whole analogy was said in the first place because it was stated by another member how difficult it would be to tune and drive a 550-600hp car around and I said if they aren't capable and or willing to learn how then just buy a gov't built everything has been done for you POS.

I understood it, just find it ironic.

Conspiracy or not, you have to admit the HP is there. And if someone drops one in an old rig the “everything is done for you” idea is out the window.

Certainly not for everyone. Not trying to change your mind.

Daily drivers are obviously necessary, and yes mine has A/C in it too but I don't want it in my hot rods and yes the modern cars are safer but I think deeper into the whole aspect with modern technology/government/modern cars deeper than most and can foresee and know what their end game is all about.

yep.
I don’t have my Dart for anything other than to be a nice day local cruiser and weekend race car at the track.
It’s fulfills both those aims perfectly. My boat is kinda the same way, only use it on nice summer days when I want to be on it. Otherwise, I don’t use it.
I kinda equate it to vacation time. I take my long vacation in the winter when it’s cold where I live. In the summer I enjoy the weather here, so don’t waste my time off except for 3/4 day racing events several weekends each summer.
That’s why I sometimes find it interesting people go to Florida on vacation in the summer, when it’s 85 or 90 here and the water is warm for swimming

I have driven my Dusters 30 mi one way to work before I retired completely. NO, NOT restored every thing new type cars just old half wore out cars. I would get a new "bargain" fix what was easy to see needed, and drive it. But I live in the sticks. Left walking only once. Yea I carry a spare and a oh my gosh, a bumper jack.
One day the float stuck and it was pouring. Stuck good. One AM I ran out of gas, the gauge did not work, and I had none in the spare car. Silly me. Headlite switch went South one AM before I hit the road. I had a spare Duster! Only other issue was a wore out timing belt but that did not eave me walking.
In 40 years of these things I have had 2 ballast resistors go South. I catty spare on and points/condensor. If lts electronic, a spare control module. I can't remember an "old" one going bad, just the modern China crap.
Furthest trip, flew to Ca. and bought a 67383 Cuda and drove back to Mo. Yes it was a restored car! I did have a spare and a bumper jack!

My daily is a RAM 1500. Super useful, slow cruises will get me 30 mpg’s. On the Hwy, it’s 20 mpg’s unless I’m doing 75/80+. But I can live with that easy.

The point of the topic by the OP, is the old car and not a meek one at that. While for myself, the description is a little hotter than what I normally do, I don’t see it as an issue since it is not the everyday driver and the only car. For me personally, I would not make my only car “The Hot Rod” again. BTDT. Though back in the mid ‘90’s, having a 11 second ‘73-4spd Cuda was great! Something I may do again & drive often and maybe even daily, but not the main car. Capable of being such? Yes. Why settle for something that can’t be? It would be something I’m not limiting myself to as the only ride.

My daily is a RAM 1500. Super useful, slow cruises will get me 30 mpg’s. On the Hwy, it’s 20 mpg’s unless I’m doing 75/80+. But I can live with that easy.

The point of the topic by the OP, is the old car and not a meek one at that. While for myself, the description is a little hotter than what I normally do, I don’t see it as an issue since it is not the everyday driver and the only car. For me personally, I would not make my only car “The Hot Rod” again. BTDT. Though back in the mid ‘90’s, having a 11 second ‘73-4spd Cuda was great! Something I may do again & drive often and maybe even daily, but not the main car. Capable of being such? Yes. Why settle for something that can’t be? It would be something I’m not limiting myself to as the only ride.
I have 10 cars and a daily driver and a Dodge dually Cummins so I have enough for probably 5 of you guys, lol, but I never intended my Barracuda to be a daily driver and I also didn't intend for the post to be about only what I have done as I wanted to hear what others would do and to be honest I really liked Rusty Rat Rod's idea a pretty edgy stock stroke 340 that wound to the moon......sounds fun and really old school.

I didn't mean you were making that assumption I just wanted to clarify

I agree with @autoxcuda with fact that "a mans got to know his limitations" and true enough most mopar guys I know aren't capable of doing/building what your talking about correctly. The majority of guys I know that have truly badass rides have had allot of help/guidance/tuning from the couple of us that have the experience.
That being said I'm guessing that wasn't the point of the thread.

As for me I agree with you guys, my car has to be a bad **** or I don't want it, I also think a four speed makes it a hell of allot more fun on the street. After I cruise my car for a while on the street I better be ready to get out for a few or either it's too tame or I'm driving like a wimp:D

I agree with @autoxcuda with fact that "a mans got to know his limitations" and true enough most mopar guys I know aren't capable of doing/building what your talking about correctly. The majority of guys I know that have truly badass rides have had allot of help/guidance/tuning from the couple of us that have the experience.
That being said I'm guessing that wasn't the point of the thread.

As for me I agree with you guys, my car has to be a bad **** or I don't want it, I also think a four speed makes it a hell of allot more fun on the street. After I cruise my car for a while on the street I better be ready to get out for a few or either it's too tame or I'm driving like a wimp:D
Yeah I was just curious as to other guys opinions or thoughts of what the perfect street/street combo would be.....agree a 4 speed would make things a lot more spicy, lol

I have 10 cars and a daily driver and a Dodge dually Cummins so I have enough for probably 5 of you guys, lol, but I never intended my Barracuda to be a daily driver and I also didn't intend for the post to be about only what I have done as I wanted to hear what others would do and to be honest I really liked Rusty Rat Rod's idea a pretty edgy stock stroke 340 that wound to the moon......sounds fun and really old school.
The current plans I’m looking forward to are a small solid roller and a similar solid cam (both in the 252 @ 050 range) on a .030 - 360’s with ported aluminum heads and intake. 1 is a 6 pack, the other a RPM. The ‘71 Duster drag car will start with an Ultradyne NF lobe @ 260@050, W5 heads on a stroker. The car is getting lightened up.
I didn't mean you were making that assumption I just wanted to clarify
No harm ment! No foul taken! It’s just a response to someone else. An opinion from me. I gotta say though, I like the thread idea and the build parameters you set up in your initial post.

The current plans I’m looking forward to are a small solid roller and a similar solid cam (both in the 252 @ 050 range) on a .030 - 360’s with ported aluminum heads and intake. 1 is a 6 pack, the other a RPM. The ‘71 Duster drag car will start with an Ultradyne NF lobe @ 260@050, W5 heads on a stroker. The car is getting lightened up.

No harm ment! No foul taken! It’s just a response to someone else. An opinion from me. I gotta say though, I like the thread idea and the build parameters you set up in your initial post.
I like reading your comments in posts your active in

First I want to apologize to the OP for helping to derail this thread. I've never had the funds for a dedicated hot rod and have always lived 30 minutes to 1.5 hours from a track and I didn't think about how that has colored my responses.

Spent some time mulling this over during yesterdays drive and realized that if I was going to build a street/strip build it would probably be similar to this - 1970 Dodge Dart 6.2 Hellcat Swap @ HRDW 2021

Now, understand that this is still colored by my history and the fact that even running to get ice cream involves 30 minutes on a highway. So (for me) it has to be something that can cruise at 60 reasonably well.

The above just seems like it would be the perfect combination. I know it's not the OP's idea of a good motor but I think it would make a sweet set up and beats the target HP by 100+. Maximum drivability with an OD and probably pretty decent fuel economy. I wouldn't worry about AC or anything like that, just enough comfort to make it work to get to and from the track. No backseat since it would need a cage anyway, but I would do a bench seat and carpet just because I like the look. But something like an HC swapped Duster with OD would mean I could cruise to KC and meet up with the OP for a day at the track - assuming I could handle the ribbing for putting a gov't motor in my car. :D

I will add that the OP's build hits a sweet spot for me as well. Really nice car, love to have something like it. I also like the idea of an old school build like Rusty suggested. I've always liked the idea of a BB, but there is just something about a fast SB that really trips my trigger. There was a guy at the local track once with a stroker SB that ran 9's in a Dart Sport. Can't remember if he drove it on the street, but I think he could have if he wanted to.

1dx_8047-jpg.jpg

Dart Sport

First I want to apologize to the OP for helping to derail this thread. I've never had the funds for a dedicated hot rod and have always lived 30 minutes to 1.5 hours from a track and I didn't think about how that has colored my responses.

Spent some time mulling this over during yesterdays drive and realized that if I was going to build a street/strip build it would probably be similar to this - 1970 Dodge Dart 6.2 Hellcat Swap @ HRDW 2021

Now, understand that this is still colored by my history and the fact that even running to get ice cream involves 30 minutes on a highway. So (for me) it has to be something that can cruise at 60 reasonably well.

The above just seems like it would be the perfect combination. I know it's not the OP's idea of a good motor but I think it would make a sweet set up and beats the target HP by 100+. Maximum drivability with an OD and probably pretty decent fuel economy. I wouldn't worry about AC or anything like that, just enough comfort to make it work to get to and from the track. No backseat since it would need a cage anyway, but I would do a bench seat and carpet just because I like the look. But something like an HC swapped Duster with OD would mean I could cruise to KC and meet up with the OP for a day at the track - assuming I could handle the ribbing for putting a gov't motor in my car. :D

I will add that the OP's build hits a sweet spot for me as well. Really nice car, love to have something like it. I also like the idea of an old school build like Rusty suggested. I've always liked the idea of a BB, but there is just something about a fast SB that really trips my trigger. There was a guy at the local track once with a stroker SB that ran 9's in a Dart Sport. Can't remember if he drove it on the street, but I think he could have if he wanted to.

View attachment 1715933955

Dart Sport
No apology please, lol, I wanted to hear from other people on their ideas which hopefully would be different from mine......I do like Rusty's idea and I also can obviously see the merit, performance and probably even better overall package in your HC with overdrive idea, and yes I wouldn't do that in one of my cars but that wasn't the point and I don't think I would pass up the opportunity to go for a ride in your dream setup or better yet do some driving in it.....thanks and good luck.

-
Back