422 dyno fail

-
Aaah yes, happy dynos. There was a thread earlier this week on ST or YB where it was claimed a NA engine made made 590 hp with a 232@050 cam. I think I might take my engine out & put the dyno in my car...
How mu
That sounds like a builder that was on this forum a few years ago.
seen to many happy dynos when a guy claims 600 hp and can hardly keep up to my 400 hp 340 you have to wonder

That sounds like a builder that was on this forum a few years ago.

:poke:

408 strokers, E-brock heads, Comp XE275 hyd, 231/237 @050 that made right around 500 +/-20hp... That sound about right? :rolleyes:

I’m not sure what this means. The first dyno produced terrible results and after some pretty obvious issues the motor was finally able to do an actual pull. If you look at the first sheet and read the thread with the issues that were fixed between the two sessions I’m pretty sure you’ll see that the motor wasn’t running correct. Plus the motor isn’t making ridiculous power, just nice to see what’s it’s actual potential is. A few trips down the drag strip and the HP will he known.

I’m not sure what this means. The first dyno produced terrible results and after some pretty obvious issues the motor was finally able to do an actual pull. If you look at the first sheet and read the thread with the issues that were fixed between the two sessions I’m pretty sure you’ll see that the motor wasn’t running correct. Plus the motor isn’t making ridiculous power, just nice to see what’s it’s actual potential is. A few trips down the drag strip and the HP will he known.

No, this is reference has nothing to do with your motor.

It's about other threads, posts, and/or people showing or talking about high dyno numbers that don't seem to jive with their combination of parts.

There was a person years ago that would tout 500hp 408/416 with smaller cam than your running, similar head, compression. But others couldn't repeat those results.

Last edited:
Sometimes there are hidden/unknown factors that will produce outstanding results.
But those are within the realm of capabilities of the parts. A 232 @ 050 cam making 590 hp NA would be outside that capability.

I can’t remember for sure what it made, but i think AndyF posted a dyno sheet of an LS6 that had a roller cam in the 230’s and made power around 590hp. Wonder if it’s the same motor to which yall are referring.

I always dyno at the happiest dyno in town… because it well makes me happy

My last engine, which at that time made 467hp / 514tq at the crank. I put it on a chassis dyno that said 314hp / 550tq.

Dyno's are weird. I dyno my engines to break them in safely and tune them. I also like to make changes and see what differences occur. The numbers are just for ego and social media likes. I've put many cars on the trailer that made a lot more HP than mine.
I just got my 340 powered car back from the shop after a chassis dyno tune. It made 258 hp and 293 lbs torque. (air temp was 90* and 41% humidity) I was a bit disappointed at those numbers but the shop owner did a good job of explaining how much actual loss occurs between "crank HP" numbers and "real world" numbers to the rear wheels. He said that he's seen a lot of deflated egos from customers who thought their "mega" engine should be producing more HP after seeing the chassis dyno results. He went on to say that the "15% " loss on a chassis dyno is a myth and that the actual percentage can be much higher.

I just got my 340 powered car back from the shop after a chassis dyno tune. It made 258 hp and 293 lbs torque. (air temp was 90* and 41% humidity) I was a bit disappointed at those numbers but the shop owner did a good job of explaining how much actual loss occurs between "crank HP" numbers and "real world" numbers to the rear wheels. He said that he's seen a lot of deflated egos from customers who thought their "mega" engine should be producing more HP after seeing the chassis dyno results. He went on to say that the "15% " loss on a chassis dyno is a myth and that the actual percentage can be much higher.

Get it to the strip. Then you'll know.

258/293 at the wheels doesn't seem too far out of wack for a 340.

i bought a blueprint engine in 2011 with 238/238 @50 thou cam , air gap, dyno'ed with 750 edelbrock and dyno sheet said 415 horsepower ,486 torque with stock magnum heads. i think intake manifold is the bottleneck

That’s about 320 at the crank, uncorrected. Unless he has some correction factor for his dyno.

....and I think the title of this thread is deceiving. It wasn't a dyno fail. A dyno fail includes carnage such as rods through block or oil pan, or both, or maybe a head blown off or some such. How many pulls does it have on it? Several by now, so that's hardly a fail. Some build engines that won't even stand one pull.

....and I think the title of this thread is deceiving. It wasn't a dyno fail. A dyno fail includes carnage such as rods through block or oil pan, or both, or maybe a head blown off or some such. How many pulls does it have on it? Several by now, so that's hardly a fail. Some build engines that won't even stand one pull.
My engine has survived thousands of pulls and never seen a dino lol...

If anyone is interested, here's the dyno sheet along with what I know about this motor. Dyno session was run with fresh plugs and oil change.

340 blueprinted and balanced. .30 over. TRW flat top pistons. Mopar steel crank, Mopar performance rods. ARP fastners. Holley Sniper EFI with Hyperspark distributor. Edlebrock aluminum heads. Weiand Stealth dual plane Intake. Competition cams hydraulic roller cam. 490/490 lift, 262 duration. 10.5-1 CR. MSD Blaster SS coil. MSD 6AL ignition. 8mm plug Wires. Aluminum radiator. 6-Blade aluminum cooling fan. Hooker ceramic coated long tube headers with X crossover. 2.5” Pypes Turbo mufflers. Vibrant Ultra quiet resonators.

Attachments

• 2ecb15df766cfea2a5f9191387bb837e63184e9c.pdf
    363.3 KB · Views: 101
If anyone is interested, here's the dyno sheet along with what I know about this motor. Dyno session was run with fresh plugs and oil change.

340 blueprinted and balanced. .30 over. TRW flat top pistons. Mopar steel crank, Mopar performance rods. ARP fastners. Holley Sniper EFI with Hyperspark distributor. Edlebrock aluminum heads. Weiand Stealth dual plane Intake. Competition cams hydraulic roller cam. 490/490 lift, 262 duration. 10.5-1 CR. MSD Blaster SS coil. MSD 6AL ignition. 8mm plug Wires. Aluminum radiator. 6-Blade aluminum cooling fan. Hooker ceramic coated long tube headers with X crossover. 2.5” Pypes Turbo mufflers. Vibrant Ultra quiet resonators.
What's the duration at 50?...

What you posted was likely what's called "advertised" duration...
But we all want is the best of both worlds where it idols nice and smooth but has power like a dragster...
Also keeping in mind that Dinos are just a tool for tuning... Dinos can be different from each other but the thing they have in common is they give you a baseline reading and then you can improve from that baseline or unimprove through adjustments... The chassis Dyno like you have gives pretty much a baseline with your whole combination of transmission gears rear end gears but still doesn't take an account for the weight of the car...
An engine dyno just gets the engine and it's best performance..
That's why nothing beats a real world test like taking it to the track and getting a time slip... That's where it counts anyways... You try tuning the carburetor a little bit and get another time slip dry some different timing and get another time slip....

-
Back