my 1973 Dart Sport rebuild

-
I cleaned up the bellhousing and painted it today. I cleaned up the bellhousing boot and dyed it flat black also.

Attachments

• DSC05238 (Copy).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 587
  • DSC05239 (Copy).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 588
what I like is finding the parts and then being able to detail everything you do the way you want it.

Neat to see you and your son working on this together and accomplishing so much. Great project.

I received the insert bearing and got it put in the steering column. I like the way it fits. I also picked up the coupler rebuild kit from Chrysler dealer and got the coupler rebuilt. crimped the cap on somewhat and tac welded the tabs and touched them up and then shot some flat black on it for now. also some updated engine bay pics. there is a little more work in this engine bay than I could see with the motor in it. BUT........ it has to be done and done right. It is all coming down to metal, filled and shot in epoxy and etch primer.

Attachments

• DSC05248.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC05220 (Copy).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC05272 (Copy).jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC05271 (Copy).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 526
  • DSC05270 (Copy).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC05246 (Copy).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC05247 (Copy).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 555
sand blasted the exhaust manifolds and the brake booster bracket. ran a wire brush over them. coated the manifolds and then baked them in the paint booth under a special light. my son had to paint a black car this week so he took the brake booster bracket in and made use of some of the left over paint. I received the new boot and plate this week for the booster and we are good to go on that end.

Attachments

• DSC05275 (Copy).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC05274 (Copy).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 506
spent this week in the engine bay. there is more work in here than I thought. there was some rust spots we had to cut out and replace with patches.

Attachments

• DSC05280 (Copy).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC05284 (Copy).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 476
  • DSC05285 (Copy).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC05286 (Copy).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 484
well, you know what they say about payback. I finally got Tyler back for all the times he got me. I had fixed a big pot of beans today with taters, corn bread and some onion. I waited a little while and got his as* in the engine bay where he couldn't get out and then I let him have it. we had a farting contest and he lost.........the look on his face says it all. yeeeeesssssss.

Attachments

• DSC05281 (Copy).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC05279 (Copy).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 506
I worked all week on the engine bay taking it all down to metal making sure there was no rust hiding under all the paint and primer. it is looking better. about one more week filling some of the dents and it will be ready for the primer.

Attachments

• DSC05292 (Copy).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC05291 (Copy).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC05290 (Copy).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC05289 (Copy).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC05288 (Copy).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC05287 (Copy).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC05293 (Copy).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 497
thanks Grassy. plan on putting paint on after the first of the year. hope to have this back together by May.

Wow you and your son have really done a great job saving that Dart. I can't wait to see it finished.

I cant wait to see it finished. I think when this one is done, I am looking for 1 more. my wife wants a 69 Valiant. 4 door 6 cyl. automatic. turd brown. just like the one she had in high school right before I met her.

That would be cool. One day when I can afford it I would love to have another 73-76 Duster. I would much rather put my 440 in that. Have any more updates on the Dart.

I received the insert bearing and got it put in the steering column. I like the way it fits. I also picked up the coupler rebuild kit from Chrysler dealer and got the coupler rebuilt. crimped the cap on somewhat and tac welded the tabs and touched them up and then shot some flat black on it for now. also some updated engine bay pics. there is a little more work in this engine bay than I could see with the motor in it. BUT........ it has to be done and done right. It is all coming down to metal, filled and shot in epoxy and etch primer.

I'm sure it has been covered before, but where did you get the lower steering column bearing?

cliff, updates on the Dart. In the morning we are going to get back in it again. took the day off today as I am on a bowling league on Friday and Mondays. My day to rest. I have a little more welding in the engine bay and a couple of small dents to fill and Tyler is going to primer the engine bay. I am cleaning the k frame and steering box tomorrow. he is going to get back on the body lines and I am going to strip the front fenders and get them ready . that is the agenda for this weekend and next week.

cliff, updates on the Dart. In the morning we are going to get back in it again. took the day off today as I am on a bowling league on Friday and Mondays. My day to rest. I have a little more welding in the engine bay and a couple of small dents to fill and Tyler is going to primer the engine bay. I am cleaning the k frame and steering box tomorrow. he is going to get back on the body lines and I am going to strip the front fenders and get them ready . that is the agenda for this weekend and next week.

Are you going to weld up the K frame like a lot of the members here. Looks like a great mod for just time and effort.

-
Back