my 1973 Dart Sport rebuild

-
I love those cars. Great work! Maybe someday I'll redo mine.

Attachments

• My first car 73 Dart Sport.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 495
Spendy too but I guess skipping epoxy primer saves some.

Idaho, I was reading over the thread and the comment about skipping over epoxy primer saving money. we didn't skip over epoxy. it was shot with epoxy primer first. that sealed it. then we went over with the Deltron. It is expensive But, he gets it at cost because he works at a body shop and we do not want to do this but once. it is going to be blocked and shot again with the

Nice build guys, the quick progress inspires me to get back on my dart, as you guys had more metal surgery than I did. I have no excuse!

Idaho, I was reading over the thread and the comment about skipping over epoxy primer saving money. we didn't skip over epoxy. it was shot with epoxy primer first. that sealed it. then we went over with the Deltron. It is expensive But, he gets it at cost because he works at a body shop and we do not want to do this but once. it is going to be blocked and shot again with the

OK makes sense. For some reason it looked like you had gone straight to the high build. Some of these new paint product prices have gone nuts.

I know. If he didn't get the stuff at cost, he may have gone another way.We plan on painting my Duster again later next year too.

The doors, fenders, beak and engine bay has been blocked. There is a few small places that has to be re-glazed again and then they will be shot in primer and then re blocked. this should be done this weekend and then they will be ready for paint. Then we will put all these pieces back on the car and check the body lines and adjust. Block the rest of the body. take all the pieces back off and on to the body shop for paint. The body on this car will be perfect when done. More pics to come.

Attachments

• DSC05450.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC05451.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC05452.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC05453.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC05456.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC05457.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC05455.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC05454.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 436
Nice. Lots of man hours. Looks like you know what you're doing.

Here are some pics of the re glazing done today. The doors are done, the beak is done and the fenders will be done later tonight. gonna shoot it with the last coat of primer tomorrow. The ball stud frame bracket came in today and welded it in place. Been playing with the 4 wheelers a little today.

Attachments

• DSC05460.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC05459.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC05458.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC05462 (Copy).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 424
doors, fenders, beak engine bay done. ready for paint. next step, put them back on the car and make sure the body lines are perfect.

Attachments

• DSC05472.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC05471.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC05473.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC05475.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 408
Tyler took the dash to work yesterday and sprayed it. dash pad is going to the upholstery shop tomorrow to get covered along with the front bucket seats. They will be done in black.

Attachments

• DSC05478 (Copy).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC05479.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC05480 (Copy).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 416
Tyler talked me into doing some work in the trunk. Then after I am in there he took a pic of me squashed in the trunk. I am getting too old for this .

Attachments

• DSC05483.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 415
Dropped the dash pad off to be re-done. Bucket seats are in the upholstery shop being re-built. put some undercoating on the back of the front fenders before they go to the paint shop.

Attachments

• DSC05487 (Copy).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC05488 (Copy).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 398
deck lid has been taken down to bare medal. will shoot it with high build primer and block it shortly. The front fenders were painted yesterday along with the beak. Stinger yellow. they just need to be sanded and buffed and they will be like glass. Hopefully the doors, mirrors, hood latch and all the bolts will be painted this coming week. still working on getting the quarters perfect before the doors come off.

Attachments

• DSC05490 (Copy).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC05491 (Copy).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC05492 (Copy).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC05493 (Copy).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 384
Nice color. What clearcoat did you use?

Paint is PPG enviro base high performance. the clear coat is Deltron DC 4000. It looks like the 2 fenders are a different color in the pic. Its just the lighting. They look great in the sun.

Keep up the good work.
That yellow is bright.
Is your son going to show the finished product to the gentleman you bought the car from?

yes he is. The guy we got this car from has got a lot of Mopar's. He has 2 68 Roadrunner's, a 70 GTX, a Superbird and a couple Chargers. All in show condition. He got this Dart Sport in a package deal with one of the roadrunners and he called me and asked me if I wanted to buy a Duster. I told him yes. He delivered this car to my house and when I got home, it was a Dart Sport. It had been in a field for over 20+ years and stripped. I paid him $350.00 for this car because he does not do A bodies. Yes, he will want to see it.

got some pretties from PG Classics for the Dart today. tail light bezels, 4 speed rods and z bar.

Attachments

• DSC05529 (Copy).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC05525 (Copy).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 341
Sweet keep working on it, this is going to be a nice car

the latest updates on this build has been working on getting the tranny shifter on with the right adapter plate and shift rods. this has been a bear basically trying to figure out what I had. well, with your guys help, figured out that the adapter plate, shift rods and shifter was from a B/E body. I bought a new adapter plate for an A body and put it on. The shifter rods are the ones I bought from P G Classics except for the reverse rod. It kept trying to hit the tranny crossmember so I put one on I had that came with the tranny. I have no idea what it was off of and had to do some straightening to get it in the holes but here is the finished product........I hope. It shifts great sitting on the bench. Next I am going to take it up to the tranny man and have him look inside it and see if he notices something I didn't. I looks brand new. The guy I got it from told me it had just been rebuilt shortly before I purchased it. We will see.

Attachments

• DSC05635 (Copy).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC05634 (Copy).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC05633 (Copy).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC05632 (Copy).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC05631 (Copy).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC05630 (Copy).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC05629 (Copy).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC05628 (Copy).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 306
Tyler just got done filling a couple of small dings in the trunk lid and shooting it in primer. It is ready to go to the paint shop. Tomorrow morning, the trunk lid, both doors, hood latch assy., door mirrors and all the bolts that will be seen on the outside will be going to the paint shop. That should all be back home on Friday night. All the body lines are straight and the quarters are ready for high build primer.

Attachments

• DSC05740 (Copy).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC05741 (Copy).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC05742 (Copy).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 301
-
Back