360 or 340?

-
I have not heard of a factory 360 going 11.88 @110 in an A body there maybe some I have an 340 demon that has gone 11.88 @ 110 as E/S CAR IN NHRA STOCK ELM. that being said with today gas I belive for a street car the 360 or a mild 318 may be the better way to go if it is a drag race only car and you are going the stroker rought then the 340 block is has been said here before the only subtute for cubis in. is cubic money that is my $.02 worth

WHAT??!!?? You have never been to the track where there are F and G/SA 360 Dart Sports???? I SAW Wann go 11.0's back in 2007 with his in F when he had it.

Currently at Indy:
43 5343 F/SA James Findell, Zimmerman MN, '74 Duster 10.961 11.85 -0.889

OK, with all the gun fightin going on between the 2 engines, and this allllways happens, my 2 cents are;

I'd go with the 360 because;

There easier to find at a cheaper price.
All the 340 tricks work on it.
20 cubes larger
More stroke for more torque
More torque for the street, torque moves you.

The Best Bang For the Buck is a 360. They can all run good, I've seen good running 318's, 340's, 360's and Ive seen " strokers "that are dogs.

Well to be completely honest, if you build a 'doggy' stroker, maybe you should have put the money into better componets to work with the bigger cubes. There just is no replacement for displacement, except for un-natural asperation or nitrous.. But if you cant build a good stroker to begin with, dont even bother with that other mess.

Also, 340 blocks are super expensive.. Like 1200 bucks for a core block! At least around here they are

And a good question...LOL....if the 340 was so mighty...why did Mopar stop production in 1973 but continued with the 360 engine up to 2002 or so?

actually...they should have put the 3.58 stroke in the 4.04 bore block....

Well to be completely honest, if you build a 'doggy' stroker, maybe you should have put the money into better componets to work with the bigger cubes. There just is no replacement for displacement, except for un-natural asperation or nitrous.. But if you cant build a good stroker to begin with, dont even bother with that other mess.

Didn't Say ALL strokers are Doggy. My last one was 4.100 x 3.79 w2 and was not a dog. But When I go to the track @5,000ft and run a 340 iron head a body 12.20 and a friends 408 aluminum heads a body runs 12.50's on the brake, They are not all fast. Like I said they can ALL run well, Budget and parts choices are very inportant. Trans and chassis are as important as an engine. But I guess if your not going to race it you can always say "I got A Stroker"
His question was what to build a 318 or 360 and again a 360 would be my choice, If ask how to run as fast as high 11's at low altitude I think a 360 would be my choice on a budget mid 11's and faster 408 all the way. Sorry to affend you.

Thought I'd chime in. I have run 340 hi and lo,360 small and big cam and 318 tq in stock. In my opinion for the street I would build a 360. Bigger main bearings to take more street abuse. Plentiful cores available. Run less compression but make up for it with compression. Torque on the street is always good also. I had a 71 duster 340 E/SA that went 10.86 @121.89 in 12/94. I had a 360 volare I/SA that went 11.19 @118+ in 2004. I just totalled a 72 demon 340 G/SA that went 11 teens at sonoma in july. I also run a 318 with a stock cast crank in SS GT/GA. set the record in 07 9.87@ 134. but thats another story. All good combos,just depends on whats available and how much you want to spend. BTW lose the 727 and put in a 904/999. Pick up over a tenth especially with a 275 gear set.

74 360 Duster...looks like he has a full second on ya...and be a F/SA probably carrying more weight too...

And a 904 vs. a stick to boot! What is 11.88 in E...about a tenth under? Doh! .07 under!

Just having a little fun, boys and girls. This might turn into a bloodbath if everyone deosn't settle down!

360, 340, 273, 318, 440, 383, /6...we're all MOPAR people! Be nice to one another. :bootysha:

Now which is better, Chocolate or Vanilla? Coke or Pepsi? Bud Light or Miller Lite?? Black or White?????????

*************Mr. Etter, get well soon!!***************

Didn't Say ALL strokers are Doggy. My last one was 4.100 x 3.79 w2 and was not a dog. But When I go to the track @5,000ft and run a 340 iron head a body 12.20 and a friends 408 aluminum heads a body runs 12.50's on the brake, They are not all fast. Like I said they can ALL run well, Budget and parts choices are very inportant. Trans and chassis are as important as an engine. But I guess if your not going to race it you can always say "I got A Stroker"
His question was what to build a 318 or 360 and again a 360 would be my choice, If ask how to run as fast as high 11's at low altitude I think a 360 would be my choice on a budget mid 11's and faster 408 all the way. Sorry to affend you.

It's all good, I'm not offended in the least bit. If its a tight budget and you can find a nice cheap, and low mileage 360 that would certainly be the way to go for reliable power for the street.

I'm unbiased.
I would go with whatever I could find first in good enough shape to start with.
Both are like a blank canvas ready to become a work of art.

Find ONE and go with your bad self.

And a good question...LOL....if the 340 was so mighty...why did Mopar stop production in 1973 but continued with the 360 engine up to 2002 or so?

actually...they should have put the 3.58 stroke in the 4.04 bore block....

1st don't take this wrong[disclaimer]

why did chrysler drop steel cranks around the same time?
why did they stop 2.02 valves?
why did they lose the floating pins?
why did they drop the 340 manifolds?

last but not least...

why did they sht can the 318 AND 360 for the 4.7 and 5.7 hemi?

I know why.

last but not least...

I know why.

bean counters...

F/SA James Findell, Zimmerman MN, '74 Duster 10.894 -0.956

taken from US Nationals qualfiy today...74 360 Duster...looks like he has a full second on ya...and be a F/SA probably carrying more weight too...

E/SA Danny Black, Avon IN, '71 Demon 10.850 ......there is a high compression 340 2.02 heads....running .045 faster then the low compression small valve 360.....I bet the 71 Demon is lighter then the 74 Duster...

.ok... Factory cars....

I really wouldn't htink there is much of a diff in weight.

stroke over 1 point of compression wins, the valve sizes in this example don't change much.

but I don't care to go back and forth about it. jmo

and do you think the 360 was an over night decision ?

it was in the works for some time before=400sb pontiacs and other were out cid'ing the competition AND to offset the emissions standards that robbed power.

$$$$$wise go 360. Good aftermarket Piston availability for 340 not so great and high dollar.. 340 blocks-overpriced and becoming more scarce. 360 still fairly easy to find and reasonable$$$$wise.

OK the ll.88 was run in 1975 under rules that are much more restrictive than what is being run today abd the car is now in a different class not sure which one car wt. was 3212# and the engine was rated at 315hp

last but not least...

I know why.

The "340" manifolds were run well into the 70s. I've seen a '76 date coded set at the swap meet in Moultrie, Georgia. I don't know when the cut off point was, but it wasn't 74.

-
Back