remove heat?? yes or no opinions

-

74valiant

Reaction score
im debating whether to remove my heat or not and wanted your opinions. the car is getting restored and once done will likely never see bad weather. i have already removed the a/c, and since the heat in my car works like crap anyway, i was thinking of ditching all of it. any reasons for or against this? im in the midwest, and it does get cold, but my cars unlikely to ever see it.

thanks for the advice

Great question. I am in the same boat.

Responses appreciated!

I vote to keep it. You might say today that you will never drive it i cool weather, but once it is done...
Our car was to never see the rain, never be driven in cold weather, never this or that; well, it has seen it all! We might go to a car show and leave early enough in the AM or return late enough in the evening that a little heat feels good. Plus, wouldn't it help with defrosting the windshield?
C

Since I first went to the dragstrip in the 70's I've been at war with weight. Making a car lighter is free horsepower. A less cluttered engine compartment is a big plus as well. That said I only had one car where I removed the heater and I would never do it again. I don't drive my junk in the snow or the bad weather, but getting caught in the rain with no defrost or those chilly fall and spring mornings happen.

Next time you're at a swap meet, put up a heater core, it's not that heavy. Unless you've removed all creature comforts and it's an all out race machine it's just not worth it.

Then again, I'm getting older and the weight penalty from A/C now seems well worth it as well.

If you want to lighten up the car, it one of the easiest ways to lose some weight. I took mine out just lighten the car.

carlisle Scamp2.JPG

i took mine out yesterday actully another member took it out i assisted alot of extra weight gone

what about the potential resale of the car? sure it can all be put back on but some people perfer not to have to do that kind of thing. i also agree about the rain and the defrost feature as well. never know when there might be a need for this.

Well up here it gets cold enough that you never drive your classic in the winter.But I went out the other day,it was cold but clear and sunny and I needed the heater.yep, you need it for the spring and fall days.My 2 cents worth.8)

what about the potential resale of the car? sure it can all be put back on but some people perfer not to have to do that kind of thing. i also agree about the rain and the defrost feature as well. never know when there might be a need for this.

Thats what I was thinking. It may be your car today but you can't take it with you when you go. The lack of heat and defrost will limit the interest from potential buyers much more than no a/c.

Even if you live where you could get by with no heat I would think defrost would be a necessity.......

I am also in the midwest. Took the heater out of my car last fall. It gets a little chilly on cool nights, but nothing terrible. For defrost I just pop open a vent window. Usually clears it right up, along with letting a little cool air in.

well when im done with this car, its going to be given to my parents and im sure they'll never get rid of it. i like heat, but the vents and vacuum ***. are a pain. this car isnt gonna be the fastest car either as it will have a full interior and stereo ect., but im just trying to make things look clean and simple. any way to get my heat to work better then if i do keep? the car takes forever to warm up and the heats no good until im basically at my destination. when it does work, its not that warm...

I belive that if you only use the car for racing, go ahead and ditch it.
But if any street driving is done in cool weather keep it. It will come in handy
on the cool nites and mornings.

I got rid of mine a long time ago and don't miss it at all.

I just did it because I wanted to get rid of some weight and live in SoCal.

As far as it hurting the resale value. Thats a bunch of BS. All you have to do is put it back on before you sell it.

I'm stripping off heat, ac, ps, back seat and probably wipers on the 72 Demon i'm building. I couldnt give a rats patootie about resale :bootysha: Its mine and I'll build it the way I want it...within reason of course :-D

The heater in my Duster sucked too until I flushed the heater core, fixed all of the vacuum lines, installed a new HVAC control box, and put in a new thermostat. Now it works great.

I don't think removing the heater is worth the small weight loss. I'd only ever remove the heater if I was building a race car; I can't imagine driving in cold weather and not having a heater. I did remove the A/C from my car but that's because it didn't work at all and it doesn't get hot or humid here enough to need it.

I'm stripping off heat, ac, ps, back seat and probably wipers on the 72 Demon i'm building. I couldnt give a rats patootie about resale :bootysha: Its mine and I'll build it the way I want it...within reason of course :-D
Very Good answer, I am like that too!!8)

I'd say if it were a trailer queen race car, yank it all out, but for the street, you are bound to wind up in a rainstorm or conditions that will fog your windows, and that will be the time you will be kicking yourself for yanking the heater box.
I was going to yank mine for weight reduction but I am sooooooo glad I did not, since it has saved my rear way too many times, and I learned the hard way when I did not have the vents hooked up and got caught in a severed thunderstorm coming back from Atlanta Motor speedway.

Luckily I had a buddy with me to wipe the windshield fog every 30 seconds while I fought tooth and nail to keep the *** end fom meeting the front while hydroplaning at 15 MPH in six lanes of traffic with monsoon type rain battering the road and nowhere to pull over.
I had no windshield wipers either, but rain-X saved the day on the outside.

Take it out, clean it, box it up and put it on the shelf then make up some NICE looking plugs for the firewall to clean things up, maybe leave the controls in the dash unless you can find a factory delete plate. That way you can put it all back in the car if you get cold or you can put the heater parts in the trunk for the new owner to install someday.

im debating whether to remove my heat or not and wanted your opinions. the car is getting restored and once done will likely never see bad weather. i have already removed the a/c, and since the heat in my car works like crap anyway, i was thinking of ditching all of it. any reasons for or against this? im in the midwest, and it does get cold, but my cars unlikely to ever see it.

thanks for the advice

drag only car maybe. but even then you need the defroster at times.

Leave it in and flush out the core. Change the thermostat too. Then you don't have to worry about losing some parts when you do put it back in and it won't get damaged/dropped/misplaced while in storage. Don't ask me how i know this! :-D
Tom.

You are going to give the car to your folks? Put the heat back in...
C

-
Back